Thursday, September 27, 2007

Calories, protein, and high-GI carbs

Calories eaten yesterday: 1247
Fat: 33g (24%)
Carbs: 96g (31%)
Protein: 135g (44%)
Weight this morning: 133.4 (One week ago: 132.6)
Calories burned in exercise today: 259

Crap. I'm up from yesterday. How did that happen? I stuck to my plan and always lose all week, then gain over the weekend. My body truly hates me. Being an endomorph means having a body that wants to be fat. Losing weight becomes a fight against your very genetics.

I ran into my trainer today and asked a couple more questions. He wants me to eat 140g of protein, but no more. For the weight training I do, he said 140g should be enough. He didn't want me to stress my liver and kidneys. (I'm not a pro-bodybuilder so I don't need more.)

He wants me to add 100 calories a day, and a good start would be a high-GI carb after my workout. He says he has no doubt that I will make my goal, but I might make it faster if I eat more.

For the next little while my calories will be higher anyway. Some of the shells with the NS beef tacos are rancid so I am opening all my packages, finding the bad ones so I can eat them first, then bagging and putting them all in the freezer to keep the good ones fresh. So dinner calories will be higher until I get all the packages sorted through, bagged, and placed in the freezer, and the bad ones eaten. I won't need the high-GI carbs until all the bad tacos are gone and I can have a lower calorie dinner.

As long as I am getting about 1400 calories a day that is a start. He thinks I might be starving my body on 1300 calories. I told him I gain fat at 1600 (it's been tried and the reason I am now on NS), so I don't want to go higher than 1400 because I suspect my maintenance is around 1500. I really do have a slow metabolism, so even with all my exercise I do gain eating 1600.

So the goal for next week is to have my daily calories a whole lot closer to 1400. My current tentative menu for Sunday is just a little below that.

I bought more of the Muscle Milk Light since it is still on sale at the gym - $20 is a steal (see GNC prices) for this stuff since it's such a high quality. I'll buy the GNC whey protein tomorrow. I'll take a scoop of the Muscle Milk and a scoop of the whey protein to make my shake, and hopefully be able to add in those high-GI carbs soon.

Brad and I decided that even with payday we are too poor for a full meal out, so we will go to New Zealander for drinks and maybe I'll have a side salad, but we'll have dinner at home first. I told him to pick up steak and we'll steam some veggies in those new Zip 'n Steam bags. He bought yellow squash, zucchini, and prickly pear cactus. I've never had prickly pear cactus but I am willing to try it!

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Alcinda (Cindy) Moore said...

Wow!!! I haven't been here for a while and you sure have lost!!!How low are you trying to go?

Keep up the good work!