Thursday, September 20, 2007

Body types, body fat test, & bodybuilding

Calories eaten yesterday: 1345
Fat: 48g (34%)
Carbs: 87g (27%)
Protein: 124g (39%)
Weight this morning: 132.6 (One week ago: 134.4)
Calories burned in exercise today: 254

A new low for a Thursday (yay!), though not a new low overall. I need to get below 132.2 to beat my all time low.

This is a long post because today was busy! I have done research on different body types, had my body fat test today, and got a new weight training program from my trainer.

Take a couple days to read this if you need to. I won't be posting again until Sunday with any photos taken over the weekend and with my weigh-in results.

Body Types

Learned some fascinating stuff yesterday about body types and why I might have such a hard time building muscle. There are three body types mesomorph, endomorph, and ectomorph, and I am an endomorph. For a woman this is the worst body type to have.

From: Bodybuilding.com:

This particular body type is generally predisposed to higher body fat % accumulation. Known to have a "soft look", it is harder for them to trim and tone through exercises and diet.

Other site with good definitions are About.com and BodyBuildingpro.com.

Body Fat Test

Ok, measurements and body fat test results, as promised.
Measurements (in inches):
Neck: 11.65
Chest (above breasts): 32.75
Breasts: 33.25
Biceps: 10
Forearm: 8.5
Waist: 27
Hips: 34.5
Thigh: 19.5
Calf: 13.25

Body fat percent: 26%
Fat mass: 35 lbs.
Lean mass: 99.5 lbs.

Weight Training

Yes, I said "bodybuilding" in the title, but that was for purposes of alliteration.

So I've built a tiny bit of muscle and lost a tiny bit of fat. As usual I got to talking to my trainer Jason, and I think I finally made it clear to him that I want to build muscle, not just preserve what I have. I may be an endomorph, but that doesn't mean that I can't build muscle at all; it just means that it's a lot harder and I won't see the results other people get. He harped on me about eating more. Haven't I made it clear by now that my metabolism is low and I would gain fat by eating the number of calories he tells me to?

After my appointment I got to thinking about whether I need to change my weight training program from trying to do 3 sets of 15 reps still. So I popped back into Jason's office and asked him about that. He said no, to build muscle I should do pyramids - increase the weight and decrease the reps with each set. He wants me to do 10-12 reps on the first set, 8-10 on the second, and 6-8 on the third.

He went off again on the food issue, and said that if I wouldn't eat more to at least add another scoop of whey protein to my shake. I figure 130 calories won't kill my diet, so I agreed. I think I'll split the scoop between breakfast and post-workout because otherwise I'd be consuming over 50g of protein after my workout. He told me to get a high quality brand such as GNC. And whereas before 140g of protein a day was too much, now that he understands that I want to build muscle, it's perfectly okay. [rolls eyes]

Finally got my reimbursement check for my dental cleaning two weeks ago. I get back $60 out of the $75 I paid. Good...I need to buy some basic groceries like eggs and now I can do that.

By the way, if you're ever looking for a good way to kill some time, check out my YouTube playlists. You'll find A&E Biographies, Judge Judy, true crime programs, the crazy antics of Scientologists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and other cults, and lots more!

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Arthur_of_Old said...

To your alliteration which was a non-immediate juxtapositional in your title which is a literal bodybuilding boom basically. Immediate there.=-)
Boy oh boy what,why when,where and why. =-)