Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Walk For Life West Coast 2009

Calories eaten yesterday: 1203
Fat: 23g (18%)
Carbs: 83g (29%)
Protein: 156g (54%)
Weight this morning: 132.8 (One week ago: 134.8)
Calories burned in exercise today: 175

I will get to the Walk For Life today, but first, more about BodyBugg and the Snuggies scam.

Use the BodyBugg to track my calories for my walk to BART and then from BART to work. It said I burned about 350 calories. FitDay, on the other hand says the same exercise burns about 175 calories. Somehow I think FitDay is right. BodyBugg seems to be doubling the number I should be getting.

I called Snuggie today about sending my order back. They said they will NOT reimburse me the huge shipping cost and only give me a fraction of my money back. We will see how the dispute with the bank and the BBB that I filed turns out, if at all. But I am livid. The girl at Snuggie told me that they reason they could find my first order was because they had my first and last name reversed. I also noticed the shipping label on the box and my last name was not spelled right either even though I clearly spelled it out on the automatic answering device.

---

Ok, a little on the Walk For Life. The Walk For Life Web site says 30,000 people showed up. Other estimates ranged to below 10,000 for both rallies. Last year there were 25,000 walkers and 250 protesters. I couldn't find a number on how many protesters were there this year. The route was 2.5 miles and wound it's way down the Embarcadero past the piers including the famous Pier 39, eventually ending at Marina Green.

It wasn't nearly as cold this year. The threat of rain and overcast weather kept the temperature much warmer - a thermal underwear shirt and sweatshirt was all I needed. No need for a jacket like last year.

The video of some of the protesters are here. I have two videos of the rally and they are here and here. A link to all the Walk For Life videos on YouTube is here.

The Flickr photo set is here. Keep checking back because I have about 50 photos total and only have 19 up so far.

We arrived about 10:30 am and could here the counter-rally starting as we walked to our rally. I guess the protesters walk the same route we take to the corner that they set up on every year. Our rally started at 11 with several speakers and the walk started at 12. Like last year we saw scattered protesters along the way to the street corner where most of them were. Police (who were facing them) kept us separated. There seemed to be a lot fewer protesters this year. It seemed to take forever to arrive at the Marina Green.

When Brad and I finally arrived I needed to sit down and eat the snacks we'd packed (peanuts and granola bars). Brad needed to use the bathroom. It was a long line and in the end I decided to wait until we started walking back and stopped at McDonald's for a snack. I got a McChicken sandwich without mayo. Brad got a full meal and I shared his fries.

That was all we could afford with both of us being broke right now. We made it back to the BART station and went home.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , ,

No comments: