Friday, November 28, 2003

Book review (sort of): Lord of the Rings

I finished Lord of the Rings on Tuesday...yea! All 1006 pages of it. Now I can't wait for movie #3 to come out. I'm hoping to get opening day off work. Here's what I wrote on Wednesday:

Well, I finally finished the book yesterday. I have a three-in-one copy that runs 1000 pages, NOT counting the appendices.

It starts slow - getting past the first 100 pages was difficult. But then it picks up again. After the Ring was disposed of around page 900, I again lost interest and had to force myself to read, but the last two chapters picked up again and I was in tears by the end (it's a somewhat sad ending) - there was even a surprize about Saruman that I didn't see coming!

There are some Christian themes in it - Gandalf is a Christ-figure, dying and coming back to life, hanging around a while to help his friends, and then departing for the Grey Havens which comes across sounding an awful lot like paradise in the book.

Good book, but it did take me over a year and a half to get through it. Now I don't know what to read next because I've been reading that book so long.

Another thing....FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO LOVE THE MOVIES...read the books! The movies are good, but I've found they left out so much that I was lost by halfway through movie #1. Reading the books cleared up what happened.

No comments: