Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Rabid atheists at it again

I saw this on CNN while I was at the gym.

Judge: School Pledge Is Unconstitutional

SAN FRANCISCO - A federal judge declared the reciting of the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools unconstitutional Wednesday, a decision that could put the divisive issue on track for another round of Supreme Court arguments.

When I grew up I went to school every day and we started the day reciting the pledge. It was NOT a religious issue for me. My family was not religious, the neither was the public school I attended.

So we said, "under God." Big fat hairy deal! No one cared then, and most people don't care now except for an extremely vocal minority! For God's sake, just leave the pledge alone. And I'd say the same thing if I weren't a Christian. When I was a Pagan I had no problem with the Mt. Davidson cross (photo) in San Francisco. I didn't believe in the Christian faith at the time, so it was a complete non-issue for me.

The pledge only bothers a tiny minority of rabid God-haters. They must believe in God - it's impossible to so passionatly hate Something you honestly don't believe in. If they didn't believe, they wouldn't care.

It is truly a sad world our children will grow up in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, the 'under god' part was added later on and wasn't originally in the pledge, it was added to scare off the godless communists from schools. Which is nonsense... The pledge was also written by a lesbian school teacher who later lost her job for being a lesbian.. It's all very ironic. Anyways, although the pledge doesn't bother me, I do agree with the ruling.

Unknown said...

It doesn't matter if the pledge was written by a aboriginal gay midget. And while I think the pledge should just be left alone, they can take out under God if it's such a problem, but for goodness' sakes, don't toss the whole thing. It's part and parcel of growing up in America.

Brucker said...

I think they ought to just take "under God" out of the pledge and leave the rest. Then it would be less of a "prayer", and people who want to not recite it can still bow out just as they can now.

When I was a kid, I used to stop reciting after the word "stands". It wasn't that I was against the concept of being "under God", just that I felt that much of the latter half was questionable. Are we really a notion that acts like we're "under God"? Are we really "indivisible"? Can we really see "liberty and justice for all"? I'd say no, no and no.