Sunday, July 16, 2006

Third and fourth day off Atkins

treadmillSettle in with (sugar free) hot cocoa. This is a long post.

This was supposed to be the seventh weekend since getting serious about my diet again, but since I am off plan, I'll title this post "Third and fourth day off Atkins," and indeed, yesterday was my third day off, today is fourth, and tomorrow is fifth and last since tomorrow is my blood test.

Yesterday I had blueberries and Half and half for breakfast, ran over to 7-11 on the break at church and got some sort of sweet Mexican coffee (very good), and a couple packages of crappy candy. Even though I had announced during the prayer and sharing time that I was off plan due to my upcoming glucose tolerance test, kids never listen, so when the kids walked into 7-11 they said, "Victoria, what happened to your diet?" and I had to explain all over again. *sigh* Kids. That pretty well filled me up so I only had a light lunch at the potluck.

Then we had the church business meeting, and then we went home.

Brad arrived just a few minutes after me and we went to the IHOP in Union City. I was hungry by that time. I got the regular breakfast with the funnel cakes (I chose blueberry). It also included two eggs, hash browns, and bacon or sausage (I chose bacon). The funnel cakes were warm and luscious, full of carby goodness. Brad said I should take a picture. I don't normally carry my digital camera around with me, but I did have my new cell phone that includes a camera feature. I pulled it out and took a pictures of the funnel cakes, then had Brad take a picture of me eating them. The quality isn't great (that's what you get with a cell phone), but here they are.

funnel cake


me eating funnel cake

Then we went to Borders where I bought the Protein Power Lifeplan. I also found an Atkins Carbohydrate Gram Counter. I lost the one I had when my purse was stolen, so I bought that, too.

Then we walked over to the Vitamin Shoppe and I picked up another bottle of L-Carnitine. It's good for fat metabolism, so it's a good low-carb diet supplement.

Today I had strawberries with Half and Half for breakfast, then went to Taco Bell for lunch to try one of those new crunchwrap supremes. It's really good! I loved it and it wasn't messy at all. Yummy! It was cheaper to get the meal, so it came with a taco and a large drink (I got Diet Coke).

Then down to Starbucks. They didn't have the coconut creme bars anymore, but they had the banana coconut Frappuccino, so I got that with a slice of banana coffee cake with chocolate chips. Oh divine! I bought some chocolate covered cherries as I left, but haven't eaten them yet.

Then I went to WalMart to get my apartment keys copied, and picked up some chocolate covered Oreos. I won't eat the whole box. I'll have some and then share the rest. I just haven't had them in so long.

Dinner tonight is a Hungry Man Sports Grill dinner with a burger and potatoes. 82g net carbs according to the package. Yike!

After all the carbs the last few days, I was finally able to hit the gym today and I have two pieces of exciting news. First, but least important for today, is that the treadclimbers are back! They got rid of them ages ago because they kept breaking down. Well, they were back today and I am itching to get on one!

I didn't do the treadclimber today because when I'm all carbed up I like to use the extra energy for running. Today I ran 5 miles on the treadmill! It took me 59 minutes, plus a 1 minute warmup. Due to the warmup I knew I wouldn't get to 5 miles without ramping up the speed, so near the end I was going 6 mph trying to make 5 miles before my time was up. I felt like my heart would burst out of my chest! 5 mph I can do. I can even do 5.1 or 5.2 without too much difficulty. But 6? No way. Way too fast for me.

At any rate, I ran for 5 miles - a new record for me. Whew! I'm tired and I'll likely be sore tomorrow. Needless to say, I had no problem making 10,000 steps already today. I'm currently over 15,000 for the day as I type this.

The lethargy that carbs give me is in full swing. I nearly fell asleep - sitting up -during the church business meeting yesterday and I never do that! I am looking forward to getting back on plan. It's been fun but I have to scream now, lol. Of course, I'm getting precious little fiber, so I am supplementing right now.

Tomorrow's the big day. I hope my body is making the switchover, and I hope they test for insulin levels and not just glucose. I wish this were a five hour test with insulin levels. That's the benchmark.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Treadmill photo courtesy Treadmill Tips.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're enjoying your time off plan, but realize this is NOT how those of us on a non-low carb diet eat. You could have chosen to carb up in a much healthier fashion (and one that would not make any of us drool over our keyboards reading your post).

Anonymous said...

Victoria is very carb conscientious as you might be aware. She doesn't really like doing it, but decided to enjoy it. She knows it is not representative of those who are no-low carb. There is no one perfect diet style. What works for one won't for another. Some can eat anything and their body does fine. Others, go through weight gain for looking at them or just a taste.

Overall, most in industrialized nations are losing touch with good eating habits. If they know, they apply things in a haphazard fashion,not consistantly.

If you drool over this and maintain your diet, fine. If not, it is not her fault. She is just relating her time in this for a health check up. Yeeess, could have done it differently and maybe healthier. She could have thought of the temptation it would be for others. But, even words alone will tempt those who want to dive off their diet. Those who are committed will maintain.

Falling off a diet never hurts. It does when you fail to get back on it.For those who cannot vary even a little bit due to health issues, you must be diligent.

IF you worry about temptations you are in the wrong universe. This blog is mild in comparison to walking out the door of the house. =-)

Unknown said...

Brad said it better than I could. I never said my way was the best way. I'm simply relating what I did. Why should I subject myself to a "healthy" high carb diet when this is the perfect opportunity to have some fun and eat the foods I usually avoid?

Same thing if someone had to follow a low-carb diet for a few days (although I can't imagine a circumstance where that might happen). I wouldn't expect that person to follow the plan to the letter and eat the massive number of veggies I do. I would expect them to cut loose a little.

Long term, neither of those would be healthy, but this is a short term carb-up for a blood test, not a long term lifestyle.