Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Why did I get out of bed today?

2 days cheat freeCalories eaten yesterday: 1599 (yippee!)
Calories burned: 2140
Carbs: 43g
Fat: 70g
Calories burned in exercise: 320

Got absolutely nothing accomplished today. It was another one of those "doesn't pay to get out of bed" days.

Ran into the city to get my P.O. Box lock changed and get a new key. The person who does it was called to jury duty and wasn't there. They charged me for the new lock and key and said that it would be installed at some point and until then I'd have to wait in line and pick up my mail at the window. :-p

My checks and debit card came today. The checks were, as usual, wrong. Washington Mutual has gotten a check order right the first time precisely once out of the many times I've ordered checks. I asked them to put a rush on it and explained that I am out of starter checks.

I had trouble activating the debit card, but finally did. However, the PIN number comes separately in the mail, and I can't change the PIN to what I want until I have the PIN they send. So that means an extra trip into the City next week to get the stupid PIN. Until then, I can use the card only as a credit card and not a debit card, which sucks royally because debit is so much easier.

I ordered a new Omron pedometer today to replace the lost/stolen one. I bought The Step Diet to go with it. What the hell. It looked interesting and got me free shipping. At any rate, until it arrives I can't count steps. The McDonald's pedometer my sister gave me is so UNsensitive that it doesn't count most of the steps I take.

I walked the last leg to work today, stopping briefly at WalMart to see if they had the ground flax seed. They were out. Without my pedometer I can't know how long it took me to walk, and my sports watch with the stopwatch feature was with my purse when it was stolen. But get this - my new cell phone has a stopwatch feature! So I used that. I racked up 30 minutes and, according to FitDay, 88 calories.

Got a mailing from the clinic I go to. I think they send it to everyone with high cholesterol. I need a "therapeutic lifestyle change." Of course this "therapeutic lifestyle change" is the same old high-carbohydrate, low-fat, low-cholesterol diet, with 6-11 servings of grains, pasta, rice, cereal, crackers, and baked potatoes each day. Hahahaha! I actually laughed out loud. I'll follow that diet when hell freezes over! I only feel sorry for all the people who could be helped with a low-carb diet who will get insulin resistance and diabetes from these high-carb guidelines. And in order to "adjust the number and size of portions to reach and stay at your healthy body weight" I would likely be constantly hungry. Who wants to live like that?

Next to the "therapeutic lifestyle change" it says "see enclosed," and the doctor wrote in "please read." Enclosed is the flier that tells me to stuff myself with carbohydrates. *sigh* Why can't I find a doctor who doesn't push low-fat dogma?

And guess what? At 214 with all other numbers in range and even excellent, I'm not worried.

I got my glucose tolerance test results back today, but have no idea how to interpret them. Here's what I posted on the low-carber board, the Protein Power board, and the official Atkins forum.

I have a question about my GTT that I had recently. My fasting glucose was 69, and two hours after the oral glucose was 89. Totally fine, although last week my fasting glucose was 88! Could that be because the high carb diet I had to eat for this test is driving my fasting blood sugar down? And isn't that bad?

The odd thing was the insulin I had them test for. There's no fasting and 2 hour range given, just an "insulin total." I'm not sure what that means but it's 3 and listed as out of range. Normal range given is 6-27. I know Dr. Eades' book says it should be under 10. Is a low reading cause for concern and what does "insulin total" mean? Total of what?


If anyone out there can help me, I'd be appreciative. Just leave a comment.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan says it may be hypoglycemia (fancy way of saying "sugar too low"). Do you have the accompanying symptoms ... chills, cold sweat, blurred vision, dizziness, drowsiness, shaking, fast heartbeat, weakness, headache, fainting, tingling of hands or feet, hunger,difficulty thinking, sweating?

Susan says if you had these symptoms, to talk to the doctor about them. The solution is likely to be: Eat more calories.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Unknown said...

>Eat more calories.<

First, this was a fasting test. Eating was NOT an option. I had to fast for 8-12 hours, then drink a glucose drink and having nothing more (except black coffee and water) for 2 more hours. As soon as it was over I got a burger at Burger King and ate it while waiting for the bus.

The test results (which I posted) prove I don't have hypoglycemia. My fasting blood sugar the morning of the test was lower than usual, but not hypoglycemic.

On low-carb my fasting blood sugar hovers in the 88-90 range. After 5 days on high carb it was 69 - low, but not hypoglycemic. In a healthy person, anything above 60 is normal, and a healthy body will be able to keep the blood sugar above 60, which is exactly what my body did. I was also fighting off the "no coffee" rule and had a headache. After the glucose drink they told me black coffee and Ibufrofin were okay, so I got my caffeine and took Ibufrofin for the headache. After a little while I was feeling lots better.

So yes, my sugar was lower than normal and that probably did effect my mood, but it was in normal range. I was eating high carb and I think that was the major factor. I had fasting glucose done 5 days earlier while eating low-carb and it was 88 and I felt fine. It was probably low because I hadn't fully adapted to eating high carb.

I had a fasting glucose taken once before starting Atkins and it was in that 88-90 range, so if I had stayed high carb I probably would have adapted and had my blood sugar go up a bit.