Tuesday, August 27, 1996

Leaving Wicca further behind

Sunday afternoon I spent the time going through various Pagan things and getting rid of them: I cut my tarot cards in half, threw out my dried flower crowns from Beltane, ripped up all the pages from my Book of Shadows that I've written on (and threw out the rest of the book that hadn't been written in), buried my cords from Mystery Circle, my initiation, and my measure, and burned my dedication and initiation papers. Busy, busy, busy, huh? But after my baptism Saturday, these things had to be done.

A couple further comments regarding the breaking of the bottle {at my baptism}. First, right after I broke it I remained squatting there at least a full five seconds, letting the enormity of what I had done come over me. What had I just done? Why did I break this bottle, this symbol of my Wiccan initiation?

Second, I went looking for it later. I asked Bruce where he'd thrown it out. I had to see it. Knowing it was broken, hearing it break, wasn't enough. Bruce seemed to understand.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am leaving Wicca to go back to Christianity. I am considering selling all my pagan books and giving the money to the church. I don't think Wicca is evil, I just don't want to be involved with something that does not have Jesus at the center of it.

Unknown said...

I tore the books apart and fed them through a shredder so no one else would get ahold of them. I advise that you destroy them/get rid of them in some way rather than sell them. Put them in a box, pour syrup over them, then tape the box shut and toss it.

Anonymous said...

Why are you ripping your books up, i dont get it it seems over kill to me...explain?

Anonymous said...

Why are you ripping your books up, i dont get it it seems over kill to me...explain?