Sunday, September 28, 2003

Forgiveness and Grace, take 2

There's a verse...can't remember the address of it, but it says this, "When we are faithless, he is faithful, for He cannot deny Himself."

For the longest time I thought this was a verse of hope. But it's not. God faithfullness in this verse is His faithfulness to wound us when we are straying to bring us back. When we are faithless (by indulging in sin), He is faithful (to do whatever it takes to bring us back), for He cannot deny Himself.

In my experience, He first tries to love me back when I am straying. Good things will happen. When that fails, He'll start turning up the heat and bad things start happening. The longer I resist, the hotter He turns it up. Only once has He had to bring me to the point of utter despair before I'd listen. Usually I give in before that.

Today, I'm thinking that "forgiveness" and "grace" are about the best two words in the whole English language.

No comments: