Sunday, June 20, 2004

Why do I serve Him?

You know, that's what it always comes down to. I could talk about all the wonderful things He's given me, the unexpected blessings, etc. I could talk about last weeks' wonderful sermon and what I learned about God from it. I could rant about what He won't do for me or talk about feeling abandoned by Him, or unanswered prayer.
But that's all beside the point.

Why DO I serve Him?

Quite simply, I'm constrained to. Whenever I get to the point of wondering if I should follow, I recall Peter's words to Christ, "Where else can we go, Lord? Only you have the words of eternal life." That's why. I know I have nowhere else to turn, that my former gods aren't real and are certainly less powerful than Him. He may not always be the most loveable, but He's the only game in town, and I came take Him or leave Him.

In a sermon on the 1st of the 10 Commandments today, the pastor at City Church said something interesting. He said that suffering is where we discover what our true gods are. And he asked if we have ever had something happen where we wanted to walk away from Christianity. I had to nod. He said the thing that made me want to walk away is a god.

No comments: