Sunday, March 16, 2003

Running Into My Past

Occationally, mostly during the Easter season, I like to visit an Episcopal church near where I live. The past year or so when I've dropped by, a lady I remember from the Pagan community has been there. We've never really talked. Well, today we finally were able to chat for a few minutes, and I have to say, I feel conflicted after our talk, not sure whether to celebrate or weep in sadness.

Her name is Dale, and she comes with her husband Brian. She was dating another man the last time we chatted, about 7 years ago, or more. She said they have been coming to the church for about a year. I asked if she was Christian or Christo-Pagan or what. She said she was Christo-Pagan. Mostly Christian, but with some Pagan parts still there. She said God has many faces.

And therein lies my conflict. Here's a woman, attending a church every week with an evangelical litergy, but a liberal priest and congregation. She believes in women pastors and other things that the Episcopal church now teaches. Additionally, she claims to still have some Pagan beliefs, though I didn't have a chance to ask for clarification. Perhaps another time.

I asked her why she was coming to church (i.e. why is she not practicing Paganism anymore), and she said that Paganism was lacking in redemption and forgiveness (I think she actually used those exact two words!). I thought that was very insightful. Paganism denies many things even are sins, and those things that are wrong - well, there's karma, but no forgiveness. Forgiveness must be an attractive option to anyone who knows how bad they've messed up. I am humbled when I consider the depth of my sin, and therefore, the depth of Jesus' forgiveness.

I left church today feeling stronger than ever how important it is to reach out to Witches and other Pagans and bring them into a relationship with Christ.

No comments: