Sunday, January 09, 2005

Craziest tsunami theory yet

Ok, first you need to understand how my dad raised my sis and I. We were taught that skin color didn't matter (indeed we had a black friend when we were children). I always figured that everything was equal. We could be any profession we wanted to be, and, by extention, we could be any religion we wanted to be, though God was not often spoken of and Dad had a particular animosity toward Christianity. (I was honestly surprized when he did NOT go ballistic when I told him I'd become a Christian.)

Anyway, that's the set-up for this, heard last week from someone who's talked to my Dad. The reason the tsunami struck where it did is because that area is overwhelmingly Muslim and this is retribution for 9/11.

Let me make it clear that this is about the most hairbrained thing I've ever heard, and to know my own father said it....gah! For some reason he hates Muslims and middle easterners in general and I don't know why. I don't "get" it because in college the Christian group I belonged to shared an office with the Muslim group, so I had some exposure, and I certainly don't hate them, nor do I think the tsunami is God's retribution against the Muslim world for 9/11. A lot of non-Muslims and Americans died there, too.

I expect freaks to come out after disasters, but to know the freak is my own Dad... :(

No comments: