Tuesday, August 10, 2004

More on Conference

To finish up with what happened at Conference:
Thursday morning was the men's chorus. Oscar was in it and just collapsed partway through. A couple doctors ran to help him. It turned out to not be serious, thankfully. He had a cold or something and thought he could make it through, but couldn't. He rested for a while before joining back in.

I did get to help out with communion. I helped break the bread up into little pieces. I also got to help clean up. I enjoyed both. :)

Communion went well. The guy in charge nabbed me on my way into the chapel and asked me to guard the extra juice and bread on the back pew. So I sat on the very back pew and got Dave (who has visited my church once) to sit with me. The guy in charge asked me to sit by the elements so that no one trying to sit in the pew would accidentally hit it with a bag or something and knock it over. During communion I nearly cried thinking about all God has done in my life this past year.

Saturday morning was Sabbath School. I went to one on the Conference theme, Seeking God With All Your Heart. It was taught by Joanna Kandel. I was going to be in Cheri Appel's class, but when I saw the sheet of questions she handed out I got spooked and left.

Following that was Sabbath morning worship, far too serious and staid for my liking. In the afternoon was the children's program, followed by the Lost Creek church's presentation. The Lost Creek presentation was interesting. They did it in the form of a skit of a church business meeting. I was really surprized at the kinds of things that would get one disfellowshipped back then. Breaking the Sabbath and being drunk are things that would hardly make anyone bat an eyelash today! How times have changed!

No comments: