Sunday, October 03, 2004

Suffering

Went to City Church today and would you believe what the sermon topic was - suffering! Geez. Like I needed that clue-by-four! ;)

I sat at the back of the church to hide and be alone. I didn't want to sit with anyone I knew. And I cried a bit during the service. My counselor says it's normal to cry where you feel safe, and I know I am safe with God. I can express my emotions to Him without the fear of being slapped down.

The sermon was on Romans 8 (great chapter!), but Pastor Harrell did point out one interesting thing elsewhere...Psalm 44. Psalm 44 is not about people who have done wrong and are being punished by God; it's about people who have kept His laws, lived their lives righteously - all that - and yet are suffering hardship anyway. Wow.
That set me off just reading the psalms in general - a good read if you are depressed. I went to Carrows and read the psalms and ate my lunch, and felt a bit better afterward.

God is here. I just need to cling to Him somehow.

As I walked from the church to the bus stop, I talked to God and told Him that I knew Romans 8:28 ("God works all things for good") is true, but... And I stopped myself. It was like God was saying to me, "No buts." It either is true or isn't. It's black and white, like being preganant - you either are or aren't; you can't be a little pregnant.

Like Pastor Harrell said, if God can redeem the suffering of Christ to bring salvation to all who believe, He can and will surely redeem my suffering.

No comments: