Saturday, June 14, 2003

Hammer and Nails

Where the hall and my room meet, the carpet does not meet. For ages now Xena has been digging under the carpet edges to get the padding out from underneath. It's nothing but a game to her, something fun to do. But this is destructive and could result in my losing my security deposit. So for a while I've been thinking of nailing the rug down to keep her from doing that. I decided to do so this afternoon and pulled out my hammer and nails. In the midst of the project (I don't even remember where), the power went out. All of it. All over the house.

I let Lou know, and he called PG&E, who came right out. He found a lot of bad fuses, but finally found one good one, and added one of his own from his truck. As he stuck the second one in, something evidentally sparked. He told Lou that he would have to call an electrician, and that most likely two wires were crossed.

I told Lou what I'd been doing when the power went out, and he came up with his toolbox and pulled out the nails on one side. He found that at least one had gone directly through a line or cord of some sort, and that that had caused the short. Once the nails were removed and the breaker turned back on, everything was fine. [insert embarrased icon here]

No comments: