Sunday, June 22, 2003

Weird Sabbath Service

I'm not even sure where to start, or how to keep this short.

We had a speaker at church yesterday, Rocky Peterson...he runs a Chistian camp/conference center in Southern California, and does deliverence, but not in the way we often think of it. There were a lot of red flags that went up (like the mention of Bob Larson), yet I can also see that he does some good, so I'm not prepared to condemn him.

He spoke at length, and then people could go aside privately and he would work on helping them to get rid of their demons. I can deal with the idea of Christians being oppressed by demons, and having the authority of Christ over them, but the whole idea of spirits of hate, adultery, anger, etc....that sent up more red flags. If it works, great, but spirits? - I have reservations.

I will say this. We occationally have this crazy guy, David, show up at the church from time to time. He knows he'll get a free meal out of it and that we won't totally shun him for his psychosis, so he drops by from time to time, but blessedly he hasn't for a while. I have trouble thinking it's coincidence that he just happens to show back up the same day this guest speaker comes. Rocky was going off to see if he could help him at all when Anita and I finally left.

At least Eric was at church, so we had some cool music for once. :-)

No comments: