Friday, July 23, 2004

Send in the Clowns

Where do I start? Right after the hold up I tried to call my bank,but they said they could do little until the next day - the servers were being updated overnight. They said to call back at 6 a.m. When I got home I contacted Experion and placed a flag on my account. They said they would contact the other two major companies. They also gave me a free credit report that I printed out. Then I called Old Navy and cancelled my credit card with them, something I've been meaning to do for a while anyway.

Tuesday night I didn't sleep at all. Wednesday morning at 6 a.m. I called my bank and cancelled my ATM/Visa card. To close my account (he got my checks,too) I needed to go into a branch, so that had to wait until later that day. Then I went into my local branch and put a freeze on my old account. It couldn't be closed due to two outstanding charges I had made Tuesday in SF. I opened a new account, ordered new checks, and they gavemy temporary checks. What is doubley sad is that I had just received new checks for my old account, and now the money spent on those is gone.

Then I tried to go to the Social Security office to replace my card (yep, that was in the wallet, too). I grabbed an Atkins shake to get some nutrition into me, but the bus driver copped me an attitude and wouldn't let me on the bus with the drink, so I had to wait until the next one. I cried right there at the bus stop. Next, the address listed in the phone book was incorrect! So Social Security would have to wait until Thursday. Then I changed clothes to go to the DMV to replace my IC card. When I was almost there I remembered I needed money to BUY the new card, and I had none. I know that seems like an incredibly stupid thing to not think about, but I hadn't slept all night. I accomplished almost zippo Wednesday.

Wednesday night my appetite finally came back and I ate a lot, had a couple drinks, took two Benedryl, and crashed out for about 15 hours. Thursday was payday, so I went to the bank, found that even though the two charges had cleared, they still couldn't close my account because my paycheck had been deposited into it. They transfered the money, but it will be another day until it can be closed.

I took out $100, went to Social Security to get a new card, went to the DMV for a new ID (ID cards in California are now $20!), and then went to work to get my direct deposit transfered to my new account. Louise had left for the wekend, so I gave the check to someone else. Lupe wasn't there so I left a note on her desk that I needed a new Health Assistance card. I also found out that they thought my access card had been in my wallet, so it had been deactivated. I talked to Carla and she fixed it. Finally, I did some grocery shopping on my way home.

Today I have to hit my other bank in SF and get a copy of the police report. I called Delta yesterday about flying with no ID and they said a copy of the police report might help. So far I have an old expired Califoirnia ID (thank You, God for helping me find that!). I have recepits from both Social Security and the DMV that I applied for new cards, a certified copy of my birth cirtificate I dug out of my files, and hopefully a copy of the police report.

No comments: