Friday, July 23, 2004

Theology of the Chaos

I know I'm rambling, but it's been a busy week and I want to get everything down; I know some stuff will be left out. I think about the hold up a lot during the day, but haven't had any nightmares. That's a blessing. I'm just holding onto God's promise that He won't give us more than we can handle.

I came across a couple quotes yesterday that I wanted to share:

God...is very gentle with young Christians, just as mothers are with very young babies...But as they grow stronger, and are able to bear more, He excercises them in a tougher school. He exposes them to as much testing by the pressure of opposed and discouraging influences as they are able to bear - not more (see the promise, 1 Corinthians 10:13), but equally not less (see the admonition, Acts 14:22). Thus He builds out character, strengthens our faith, and prepares us to help others. --J.I. Packer, Knowing God

...to redeem our brokenness and lovelessness the God who suffers with us did not strike some mighty blow of power but sent his beloved son to be like us, through his suffering to redeem us from suffering and evil. Instead of explaining our suffering God shares it. --Nicholas Wolterstorff, Lament for a Son, pg. 81.

And that's a God I can believe in. :)

And this:
In the face of tragedy, I can respond either by blaming and turning against God or by turning toward him, trusting him to fashion good out of bad. One option focuses on the past and closes off the future. The other option opens the future, allowing an Artist to use whatever happens as the raw material for a new story, different than it would have been without the tragedy or failure, but in some ways even richer, redeemed...The wound will never heal completely, the problem never find a pure solution. We are offered instead the less satisfying but more realistic hope that God can redeem even the wound. --Philip Yancey, Reaching for the Invisible God, pgs. 267, 275-6

No comments: