Thursday, August 14, 2003

One of Those Days

Well, today has been One Of Those Days (tm). Murphy's Law has been in full swing in my life. Everything that possibly could go wrong, has.

I got to stay late last night at work (overtime, yea!) and got driven home. Because of this, I accidentally left my punch card in the back pocket of my jeans. I got home about 12:30 a.m. About 2 a.m. my little reminder to give the cats their flea treatment started flashing. I dug the treatment out, but Abby could read my mind and wasn't letting me near her. Oh well, wait until morning.

I tried to set up the new aquarium I bought, but after setting everything up it just sat there. I carried it into my room to test it in a different plug just in case, but nothing. I'll have to call the company later, maybe send it back.

I managed to get Xena's flea collar off, but was too tired to put the new one on. That would also have to wait until morning.

A program about Lord of the Rings was on, so I stayed up until 3 to watch it. Learned some cool stuff about the books and movies.

As a lay in bed I suddenly remembered that I had forgotten to take my vitamins and medication. No big deal. I would just do it in the morning. Being 12 hours late with my medication has never been a problem. I was tired and only wanted to sleep at that point.

Slept in until 11:30 this morning. Before I got up, Abby settled down on my bed and put her back to me. I took the flea treatment and squeezed it on her neck. I managed to get most of it on before she could react and run off. She wouldn't let me near her for the rest of the morning.

I managed to get Xena's new flea collar on, though she put up a fight. I also put what little remained the the flea drops I couldn't get onto Abby, onto her.

I had to wrap my sister's birthday presents and get them out. I had no birthday wrapping, so I put them in Christmas wrap. I ran out of tape as I finished wrapping the last one, but I knew where more was and reloaded the dispenser.

I turned on my computer to do some quick surfing before work. My modem couldn't detect a dial tone. Since I only have my modem hooked up to that line (I don't even know what the number is), I went digging through my closet for a phone to plug in and test. I hooked the phone up - nothing.

I got into my e-mail and found an old e-bill they had set me and called the repair number on my cell phone. They asked for my number and I didn't have it. Neither is it listed in the bill. They said they couldn't help me, that they'd have to transfer me to customer service and THEY could give me my number. I was transferred and got the number, then transferred back to the repair center. I set up an appointment for tomorrow morning. I do have insurance so hopefully I won't have to pay. (Never trust a landlord; they are slow on fixes. I always pay for the insurance.) I talked to my live-in landlord before I left and he said he'd see what he could do. He said it was because he canceled his AOL. (Huh? And that matters because...?) I checked his phone and it was also not working.

No time for coffee this morning, and no time to call the aquarium company.

So I leave for work, late. I get an energy drink on the way because I hadn't had coffee.

I'm already at the bus stop when I realize I forgot my punch card and my medication. Too late to go back, though.

I get on the bus and am tipping my head back drinking the last of the energy drink when my sunglasses start slipping off. I jerk my head up to keep them from falling, smashing my lip into the can. (The glasses fell off anyway.) I cause several tiny cuts inside my lip.

I stop to copy the bulletin for church, then go to the grocery store to buy a bus pass. This is the last month I can use BART Plus; from now on I have to pay for everything separately. I start by buying the bus pass. The express line at the supermarket is slower than molasses in January, but eventually I get through. I arrive at work 10 minutes late.

Because I left my card to clock in in my other jeans, I have no card. I talk to my boss and he says to send him an e-mail about it so he can manually add my punch. I do so.

I go downstairs to our mail room to mail out my sister's presents. The guy assumes I want Priority Mail and doesn't ask. Parcel Post was over a dollar less and I would have gladly done that, but he's already printed out the sticker and everything and it is "too late." By now I am in a very bad mood and make a snarky comment on my way out.

I haven't eaten so I ask my co-worker Brad (yes, OUR Brad) to go to the burger joint next door and get me a burger and a diet Coke. I give him the money and he goes down. He comes back with a regular Coke and I nearly have a hissy. He goes back down to get the right drink.

So, that's my wonderful day. So if I'm more curt than usual it's because I haven't had my medication (I need it to be normal), and have had everything go wrong.

No comments: