Sunday, November 06, 2005

Halloween for Christians & Former Witches

Got asked about this, and thought I'd reprint my piece here.

---

People can celebrate Halloween any way they want. Some Christians can dress up and go to parties or whatever with no problem. Others can't. Same thing with Harry Potter. Some Christians (and their children) can handle it; some can't. It's a personal thing.

When I was a kid it was just a fun time to dress up and stuff my face with candy. I know it will never be that again - I'm not a kid anymore - but why can't I hope to be a "recovering Witch" and reclaim Halloween back to what it used to be, what it should be - a holiday to dress up and have fun? I even have an old Ren Faire costume I could wear.

At first I admit I was afraid of Halloween. I hid out in Bible studies or breathed a sign of relief that I would be working that night to keep my mind busy. Well, it's time to stop being afraid! I've been a Christian for almost 10 years and it's time to stop freaking out over a secular kids holiday.

I'm not totally "there" yet, but I'm making strides. Two years ago while helping out with a Halloween chat at EW, I got trick-or-treaters and scrambled to find candy to give them. Luckily, I had some on hand. I looked for a paper pumpkin, skeleton, etc. to tape to my front door at home, but couldn't find one. Maybe next year I will look harder.

Last year I had someone make me a Halloween themed sig with cats. This year I reused the sig and also placed a Halloween theme on my health and wellness forum. I went for grey, happy skeletons though, rather than something dark.

Those who believe that others shouldn't celebrate Halloween should not celebrate it themselves, but neither should they judge those who do. I will consider myself recovered from my past when Halloween becomes what it once was - when I can once again dress up and have fun. Perhaps someday I will get there...

No comments: