Sunday, December 18, 2005

"Christmas" vs. "Holiday"

The annual war is on again, with schools and liberals all over the nation banning Christmas in favor of a joyless "Happy Holidays" while singing rewritten carols under the "holiday tree."

Get over it people. I grew up in a fairly non-religious family (we didn't even go to church Christmas and Easter), and we said Merry Christmas, and put up a Christmas tree, and listened to traditional carols. It was just part of growing up in America and had no religious overtone to it. "Merry Christmas" was just what you said, and my sister and I woke up Christmas morning and got lots of presents.

Well, I found the coolest post from an atheist (linked from ALa's blog). He says to keep Christmas; "holiday" is what offends him because it's original meaning is "holy day," and he doesn't believe in the concept of "holy."

Read his post here:
Weighing in on the "War on Christmas"...

1 comment:

Brucker said...

Anna Quindlen also weighs in on the matter in this week's Newsweek. Sometimes I find her views on religious matters offensive (and almost always her views on abortion, despite being rather moderate on that issue), but I thought she made some excellent points I wish I'd said first in my blog.