Wednesday, December 28, 2005

RMR test

I had this test at the gym today. It costs $50 and stands for "Resting Metabolic Rate." It's how many calories your body burns at rest - if you are just sitting around like a bump on a log, not eating or exercising or doing anything. It's how many calories your body needs to keep you breathing and your heart beating, etc. Eating raises metabolism because it takes calories to digest food (I think I read that about 10% of what you eat is burned this way), and exercise raises metabolism. So this is a fasting test. I couldn't have my morning coffee, vitamins, or protein shake until after the test, nor could I exercise.

Anyway, all that to say my results were 1610 calories, down from 1870 a year ago. I knew it would be lower because I've lost weight, but I was hoping it wouldn't be too much lower. 260 calories lower...bleh.

1 comment: