Friday, December 09, 2005

The Chronicles of Narnia, the movie opens!

The Chronicles of Narnia, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" opened today and I was there! It was a good movie. My biggest complaint is the same as my complaint with Lord of the Rings - they departed from the book when there was no reason to except to make the movie more exciting. Frankly, I'd rather have a more boring movie that stayed closer to the book. The one change I did like is when the Queen returns the day after killing Aslan (and having his mane shaved), she's wearing his mane hair around her shoulders. That was a nice touch.

The movie also practically skimmed over the "deeper magic" aspect when it was so big in the book. I felt this took away from the Christian meaning of the film, and the true meaning of the book. Lewis was writing Christian alagory.

All this said, the movie is worth seeing, and worth seeing on the big screen. It's PG, but don't take little kids. Some of the monsters would be really scary to them, and probably the big battle scene, too.

I hope Disney does more movies like this.

Here's my previous posts on the matter (will not open new window):
Narnia Quiz, May 3, 2005
brings explanation of my results on the Narnia Quiz, May 4, 2005
Two Pre-Screening Reviews, September 12, 2005
Moviefone web site with movie trailers, October 27, 2005
Official movie site and first sighting of commercials, November 21, 2005

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear they bought the rights to make all 7 movies. Although, I can't see how they could do Horse and His Boy or the Last Battle without the muslim groups complaining. Calormen is blatantly muslim.