Thursday, February 15, 2007

Lots happening, little accomplished

Quaker oatsCalories eaten yesterday: 1706
Fat: 85g (48%)
Carbs: 50g (13%)
Protein: 119g (30%)

Weight this morning: 147.8
Calories burned in exercise today: 103

Been thinking about carb cycling lately, though I still have some more research to do. I got to thinking about it due to this blog post. This person got it from PJ's book-long post about low-carb in general and further down, carb-cycling in particular.

I did a Google search and came up with this site. It mentions a three day split - one day high carb, one day low-carb, one day no-carb (except for veggies). An acceptable high-carb food that's mentioned is slow cooked oats. Slow cooked oats are also mentioned on my old Atkins day-at-a-time calendar as an acceptable breakfast food, and a slow-digesting carb that I actually like. I wonder if I couldn't do a version of carb cycling, with my "high-carb" days still being fairly low, but higher than I am now. Oats for breakfast would be a perfect slow-digesting carbohydrate to get my carbs up without spiking my blood sugar. Add some Splenda, cinnamon, sugar-free syrup, or sugar-free jelly, and you'd have a nice, hearty breakfast.

Anyway, this is something that I am beginning to look into.

I stopped by WalMart on the way to work and bought a small canister of the oats. It has 24g of net carbs per 1/2 cup serving. It is supposed to be cooked with either water or milk. I think low-carb chocolate soy milk might be good - it would give a protein punch to the carbs and flavor it at the same time.

I also bought a new Pullman backpack. I decided to pay more and get a better quality one since the one I just bought a few weeks ago broke so quickly. I got American Tourister brand, which has a 10 year warranty. Hopefully this one will last!

I wanted to get a toilet plunger at WalMart also, but they didn't have a good quality one so I gave it a pass.

I never got in to see the dentist today. I went there and spent over an hour waiting (12 noon to 1 p.m.), then was told it would be a very long wait indeed. I told them to take me out of the que; I had to get to work. This was just to check on the oral surgery, so it really isn't important and I didn't reschedule. The guy is only in on Thursdays once a month. I have to work and I can't afford to spend all day there. Another woman had a 10 a.m. appointment with the same dentist (the oral surgeon) and at 1 p.m. was still waiting to be seen! So I wasted a perfectly good morning getting nothing done. I could have workout out, but NOOOOO. The dental clinic would rather waste my valueable time.

I have an appointment on March 2 for the whitening (it's a Friday so I don't have to work), and on March 9 for a regular cleaning (also a Friday). After these are done I will start worrying about the cavities I have. I doubt I'll be able to get them all filled this year, but I can maybe get a couple done before I max out my benefits at work.

Little exercise today due to the dentist. I did walk to work from the train station of course. Hopefully Brad and I can walk around the lake tomorrow.

DranoI unclogged my first drain last night! The bathroom sink had been emptying slow. I bought Drano, followed the directions (pour in half the bottle, wait 15 minutes, then pour hot water down the drain [I used boiling water]) and voila! the sink now empties like it should.

I was supposed to finish the Parastroy today, but I miscounted the pills somewhere and wound up with two in the ParaRid bottle left over. I'll take those tomorrow morning and be done with it, then start with the Candistroy on Saturday. I don't think the Parastroy helped at all.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

Quaker Oats photo courtesy of Moonbattery.com.
Drano photo courtesy of Aubuchon Hardware.

2 comments:

Amy Dungan said...

This must be the year for getting long neglected dental work done. My gums are so sore from all the pokeing, prodding, shots, etc. this week. I feel like someone punched me in the mouth!

Sorry your morning was wasted like that. You'd think they would have called and let you know they were so far behind!

Arthur_of_Old said...

Hope you get back on track and the frustration fades!! I know how aggravating that is when any show disrespect. Peace to you, with patience. =-) Never comes easy though! =-O Add to virtue, patience. Lord give us virtue so we can get to the patient part. =-)