Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Todd Bentley & the so-called Lakeland "Revival"

Calories eaten yesterday: 1258
Fat: 30g (21%)
Carbs: 92g (29%)
Protein: 159g (50%)
Weight this morning: 131.2 (One week ago: 132.8)
Calories burned in exercise today: 301

My workout is posted below, but let me "weigh-in" quickly on this Todd Bentley issue. Baptist Press has this to say about him:

Bentley claims that thousands of people have been healed and dozens been raised from the dead through his ministry, but prominent evangelical leaders warn that he's a fraud and false prophet. Bentley's meetings often involve "holy" laughter and "holy" shaking, and he claims to talk to angels and to Jesus in person.

While watching one of the many videos about him at YouTube, I heard a passing reference to the Assemblies of God church. I did know know that was the denomination that he identified himself as. I remembered that Kathi Sharpe (the woman I had that severe falling out with several years ago) was AOG.

I Googled her and found her blog. Sure enough (and very sadly) she is totally hooked on the man and even went to one of his services when he held meetings not far from her. And after it all she of course wants more.

Bentley is no longer preaching. He was exposed on Nightline as a charlatan (Part 1 of report and Part 2 of report). They were not able to confirm one single healing. He was also found to have had an extra-marital affair.

The guy is just another fake faith healer, preaching more about healing and angels than Jesus (audio proof). I find it very sad that Kathi has fallen for this. I would have thought her more discerning.

-----

Managed to get a full workout in. I was up at 10 a.m. and out the door by 10:45. Walked up the street and caught the 11:05 bus, getting to the gym a little after 11:30 and finally hitting the gym floor at about 11:55. That gave me time for an hour of weight training and a half hour of cardio. For weight training I did legs and butt with triceps and biceps thrown in for good measure.

After three days in a row at the gym I decided to take it easy for the cardio and just walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , ,, ,

1 comment:

Kathi said...

Hey Victoria,

Just found this on a google search. If you were so concerned about me, why didn't you contact me instead of smearing my name all over (not that it bothers me, but the point of it). "Discernment" swings both ways :)

I'm not "hooked on the man" - I'm totally hooked on Jesus and what He's doing worldwide. Some of what He's doing is through TB.

It doesn't surprise me that Nightline couldn't find one single verifiable healing. Do you remember how reporters treat people? If they'd called us up, I'd have thought long and hard about whether to talk to them. But we were *there* - we *saw* - and we got to talk to people at our hotel (every hotel for 10 cities around was full because of the revival... probably 90% of those at our hotel were). One lady we talked to got a healing she wasn't even praying for... or even believing for!

As a matter of correction.. Todd is not AoG (and neither am I, any more). The revival broke out in an AoG church (as did, if you think back a ways, the Brownsville revival).

And as a total aside... I see on your blog that you're taking Armour and still battling your thyroid troubles. I don't know if you remember my on-again, off-again gluten thing... but in the on/off/on process we discovered that I have a genuine intolerance to the stuff. My only real symptoms were extreme weight gain over time and hormones gone awry (at 1 point my TSH was 91). I stopped eating gluten cold-turkey and without meds, over the course of 5 months, it's under 30 and still dropping. I'm expecting that within a year it will be normal - without meds. I realize that not everyone with thyroid probs has gluten intolerance but I know this is a long journey for you and it might be worth looking into. If you're low carb anyway it would be fairly easy to go gluten free.

We should talk sometime.