Sunday, January 07, 2007

Diet, diabetes (sort of), devotionals, and digital photos

Calories eaten Friday: 1810
Fat: 95g (49%)
Carbs: 24g (6%)
Protein: 98g (22%)
Calories burned in exercise: 0

I'm not totally sure of the calorie count because the bottle of salad dressing exploded over the salad, so I had to guess at the amount of dressing. It certainly did add quite a few extra calories than I planned on.

I had some weird blood sugar results over the weekend. I tested the strips twice with the test solution and it came up in the middle of the acceptable range both times. I was 69 on the TrueTrack Friday night. That seemed awfully low so I tested again and got 60 (!). I pulled out the Aviva and it gave me 93 (!). My blood sugar could have been in the 60s because I ate very low carb and drank a bit and I know alcohol prevents the liver from performing gluconeogenesis, so there's no mechanism to keep blood sugar from dropping.

Then the TrueTrack registered me as only 75 Saturday morning - long after my liver had processed the alcohol. When I got home from church (after eating more carbs than usual) I got 103 (whew - my blood sugar did come up!) and the Aviva had me at 123.

I was 89 this morning, and that's normal. Overall my fasting blood sugar is coming down so my toe must be healing. :) My average fasting reading for the last week is 87.

Got a compliment from Anita at church that I was looking skinny (or thin or something)! Woohoo! I love those compliments.

Started back exercising. I decided not to go to the gym because I am still coughing a bit, so I did some weight work at home and also got on my stationary bike for 30 minutes. I finished off by walking the last 1.5 miles to work from the BART station. I sure felt a ton better than when I tried it last week!

I came across something in my devotional last night that I wanted to share. I find lots of cool stuff to share, but I usually never get around to doing it. Right now I am using a publication put out by my church for the annual Seventh Day Baptist Week of Prayer (.pdf).

The introduction asks the question, "Who owns your church?" What is your answer? Who owns your church, wherever you happen to go?

The answer? "It in not my Church, not your Church, not even the Apostles' church. It is Jesus' Church...it belongs to him. He bought and paid for it with his blood and life."

And to change the topic again, here's some pictures I've taken recently. Click them to see the full-size version.

One drink for each hand - scotch and a martini
one drink for each hand

I caught Brad trying to sneak one more drink
caught

Abby sleeps with her legs sticking out of the cat tree
Abby sleeps with her legs sticking out of the cat tree

The shoebox I keep my blood testing supplies in
the shoebox I keep my blood sugar testing stuff in

My backup blood glucose meter
Aviva meter

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 comments:

i am Susan said...

interesting blog...you seem like a very oranized person. Gotta hate the exploding salad dressing:)

i am Susan said...

Oops...should've spell checked...I meant organized person:)

cc said...

hi. i came to your blog through a post you made at a flickr diabetes group. anyways... i have type 1 diabetes, and have a TERRIBLE time managing my sugars. i only recently found the time to research it all on my own, and found so much information about how carbs effect sugars, and am starting to get some ideas of how to better manage mine.

anyhow, your story inspired me. your diet and exercise, and determination, and your plan/method. i am slightly overweight (technically about 5 lb, but really i'd like to lose 20. i hover around 150lb, although right now i am at 155.)

aside from the benefits to my figure :) i am just terrified of complications from my diabetes. i have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 10 years, and although i find enough protein in tofu, nuts, etc, i am now thinking my sugars are suffering from the difficulty of controlling all those carbs.

i am not ready to go all out atkins, but reading blogs like yours i have gotten some ideas of ways to help my sugars. i have started eating only whole grains (no white bread, no white pasta, no white rice) more. Eating more veggies than before (although I am a vegetarian, you'd be surprised how many of us survive on non-veggie substance), and eating more meat substance (high protein) foods. I am really hoping to get my sugars into a "normal" range, although for type 1 diabetics, that is not easily attained.

anyways... just wanted to say, i think you look great, i am inspired by your achievements, and i started my own blog to keep track of my sugars/diet/exercise. also just saw your walker journal today and that got me all excited to do that too, so i am going to buy a pedometer today after work (at work now). ok. that was a long entry. sorry about that.

cheers,
-c

cc said...

forgot to mention who i am. flickr account is
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cassandrahoy/

i actually just opened that account too, so there really isn't much on there.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cassass,
My mother went low-carb in the '60s by doctor intervention for her Diabetes. Wise doctor. It helped her stay off insulin and gave her longer life IMO. She died in 2001 at 72 years of age. She was diagnosed around 1966 or so. Brad =-)

Unknown said...

Brad - she has type 1, which means she makes no insulin on her own. Type 1s have to take shots.

Anonymous said...

Victoria:

I just made comment on my mother and her low carb diet. But, I see how someone could assume I was saying she should use a low-carb diet to go off insulin. Sorry, that was not my focus or point.

My point was my mother was helped by low carb diet. I was not commenting on Cassass insulin need. I was not suggesting she could go off insulin, as is shown with my message.

B