Sunday, January 14, 2007

Losing Bogie, take 3

It is with a heavy heart I inform you that my sister April called me Saturday night to tell me that Bogie had passed away. She last checked on him sometime after midnight, and when she got up the next morning he was already in rigor mortis. He was 11 years old and died of cancer. In October of 2005 he was given 2-4 months to live. He outlived that prediction by a year.

It doubly worse because April told me that Monday is the seventh anniversary of Bacall's death. Bacall was Bogie's sister and died when she got out of the house and was hit by a car.

Bogie was named after Humphrey Bogart and Bacall was named after Lauren Bacall. My sister is a fan of old movies.

I found some pictures of Bogie on my computer and uploaded them to Flickr. Click to see the full-size version.

Me & Bogie (when I had my natural brown hair)
me & Bogie

Bogie sitting
Bogie sitting

Bogie in his dog bed
Bogie in his dog bed

My sister loved that dog more than anything else in life. He was the ring bearer at her wedding, with the pillow and ring tied to his harness.

Bogie
August 10, 1995 - January 13, 2007

Rest in peace, Bogie. I hope you are playing with Bacall at the Rainbow Bridge. Your Mommy will never forget you.

Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

~ Author Unknown


Technorati tagged: , , , , ,

4 comments:

pendell said...

:(

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am saddened too by this news. It is so hard when a pet dies. The expectation of him being there will be hard to adjust to, as he will not be. I assume she cried like a baby after his passing.

It's a blessing that she has many years to look back on, remembering those wonderful times she shared with Bogie. Bogie also beat the dreaded diagnosis concerning the timing of death. I'm glad Bogie was strong enough to do that.

I know April gave him a good life and cared well for him. He was happy with her. My sorrow is with April's at his death.

=-( B-n---sad.

Anonymous said...

Had naturally brown hair? It still is brown. I have seen it and it's a nice color. But, I like the blue too. I once was nicknamed "Blue". Ahhh, youth..

WB

Alcinda (Cindy) Moore said...

So sorry for you and your sister! He was a cutie!!