Monday, January 08, 2007

First gym workout of the new year!

Calories eaten yesterday: 1387
Fat: 69g (46%)
Carbs: 28g (8%)
Protein: 114g (34%)
Calories burned in exercise: 208

Back to the gym today. My first gym workout of the new year! When I walked in I swear every treadmill was being used. Yep, the New Year's Resolutioners turn out every January to get into shape and lose weight.

I did weight training first, and thankfully it seemed the New Year's Resolutioners were only interested in cardio, so I didn't have to fight for machines and weights any more than usual. I even found some change in the leg press machine. It must have fallen out of someone's pocket. There was 80 cents, but I managed to lose a nickel at some point and ended up with 75 cents. Oh well. It was three quarters and I can always use quarters for laundry. :) I only did 40 minutes of weights since I did some weight training at home yesterday.

By the time I was ready for cardio there were plenty of treadmills open. I hopped on one and walked between 3.5 and 3.8 mph for 45 minutes. I know - a lighter workout than usual, but I wanted to start off slow. But between yesterday's workout and today I am so SORE!

Here's a thought about why I might have so much trouble building muscle. Insulin is a growth hormone. It doesn't just store fat, but also helps build muscle. As you may remember, I had a glucose tolerance test last year, and at the two hour mark they also tested my insulin level. When I got the result back they said my insulin was out of range - on the low side. The lowest "normal" level is 6 and I was a 3. This won't adversely effect my health since my blood sugar is in range, but could it be the reason I can't build muscle?

Came to work and found a check for $240 in my box. I'm not sure what it's for. Vacation maybe? It says "24 hours" on the worksheet, but that would only be $10 an hour and I make more than that, so I'm really not sure. Still, I'm grateful because I need the money. Dad hasn't sent me any money this month and this check will cover that.

I think I can finally say my blood sugar is back to normal after my surgery - a very good sign! The last two days I've gotten up at my regular time (9:30) and I was 89 yesterday and 91 today. Those are totally normal numbers for me. Yay! :)

The toe still doesn't look very good, but it's stopped draining. Hopefully the skin there will turn white over time instead of the ugly red it is now.

Brad and I are planning on walking on Friday. Because of the planned cheat on my birthday, I'll need all the exercise I can get! He doesn't want to walk around the lake, though, so I don't know where we're going. He said it has trees and is paved, but won't say more.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

cc said...

the insulin effecting muscle growth is something i have heard mentioned before. i wonder how diabetes may effect my muscle growth... i never really thought that i was particularly incapable of building muscle, but of course, when the blood sugars are high, the muscles won't work. i'll have to research more about diabetic weight lifters and such. It is interesting though...