Sunday, January 14, 2007

Weekend update & birthday photos

Calories eaten Friday: 1212
Fat: 48g (37%)
Carbs: 14g (5%) (Woot!)
Protein: 109g (37%)
Calories burned in exercise: 556 (Woot!)

Ok, weekend update time. Friday blood sugar was high. Even though it was only 92 when I went to bed, it had risen to 109 by the morning. I'm sure this was related to eating high-carb Thursday. Saturday and Sunday it was 98 and 95 respectively - higher than normal but at least under 100. Hopefully I can get things stabilized because I have more surgery Thursday and I want to see how that will effect my blood sugar. I suspect it will go up for several days until I get all healed.

I baked the communion bread for church Friday. I burned it the first time (photo) and had to do it over (photo). Then Brad came over and we went hiking along some trails in Oakland. It would have been more fun if I hadn't been so cold. We've been having a cold spell here lately, with lows often below freezing. If it rained we'd have snow, but so far it's clear and cold. I actually had to pull out my warmest winter coat.

Anyway, we hiked for about 2 hours and left because darkness was closing in (actually it overtook us and we got out after dark). Well, I still had energy - remember the tons of carbs I ate on my birthday! - so I asked Brad if we could walk around Lake Merritt, which is lit. So we did that. All together just over 3 hours of walking. I made a new high step count - 24,584 (11.25 miles)! :)

24,584 steps - 11.25 miles!

After we got home we had something to eat and he helped me take down my Christmas tree. The apartment seems much less crowded now.

I ate very little - no breakfast, 5 1/2 oz. of ham for lunch, and 16 oz. of ground chicken for dinner. No veggies.

Saturday was communion at church and then Brad came over and we hung out. I ate way too much and I need to stop buying the Carb Smart ice cream. It's just too good.

For the purposes of my FitDay journal I posted 3500 calories for my birthday on Thursday, and the usual 3000 for Saturday.

Today (Sunday) I went to the gym in the morning. I ran for 1 mile on the treadmill (12 minutes), then did 45 minutes of weights and 30 minutes on the elliptical (the kind with the moving arms). Tested my blood sugar when I got to work and it was 111. Heavy exercise always raises my blood sugar.

Now even my "fat jeans" are tight. I had to check and make sure they were my fat jeans because it was a real struggle to get them over my fat ass. I don't need a scale to tell me I've gained from too many carbs on Thursday and too much food on Saturday. So today I'm drinking lots of water (I've drunk very little liquids the past two days), and cutting the carbs way back to get the carb bloat off. I'm also cutting calories to make up for the excess Thursday and Saturday.

Since I pigged out Thursday and Saturday (though to a lesser extent), I'm doing another mostly meat day with no veggies. I'll add some veggies back in tomorrow. I need to get back on track, and a day of mostly meat is the fastest way to do that. I took a couple magnesium tablets this morning to make up for the lack of fiber and of course I take a multi-vitamin/multi-mineral tablet every day in my vitamin packet.

Tomorrow is a holiday so I can't check my mail like I planned to, so I'll go to the gym again. Tuesday I have an appointment, Wednesday I'll do mail, and then Thursday is grocery shopping and laundry and I have the day off work because I have round two of oral surgery that morning. Thursday will be a busy day!

Here's some pictures from my birthday. Click them to see the full-size version.

Eating a low-fat cinnamon chip mini loaf from Starbucks
me on my birthday

Eating a cheeseburger WITH the bun
me on my birthday

Eating a cheeseburger WITH the bun
me on my birthday

Me with birthday cake
me on my birthday

Eating birthday cake
me on my birthday

Drinking Diet Cherry Coke
me on my birthday

Did I eat all those fries?
Did I eat all those fries?

Eating birthday cake
me eating cake

High-carb blues
This is what happens when I eat high carb

The birthday card Brad gave me. The inside reads, "As we get older, we should limit ourselves to just a couple glasses of wine on our birthday."
the birthday card Brad gave me

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,