Monday, February 21, 2005

I *get* it now! (Lewis and Tolkein)

Been reading "That Hideous Strength" lately. Due to an intense "read through the Bible in a year program," I still haven't finished the book. I don't allow myself to read the book unless my Bible reading for the day is done.

Anyway, Lewis talks a bit about Numinor, the "true west," and Middle Earth in the book. While I was reading yesterday it suddenly hit me where Middle Earth is. I always thought it was a fictional place, but in "Lord of the Rings" Tolkein was providing a history of OUR PLANET! We are Middle Earth. Above is the heavens, and below is hell, and we are in between, caught, in a sense, between the worlds.

I read the entire Lord of the Rings book (all 1006 pages) and never understood that. I read something totally unrelated and it hits me! :)

No comments: