Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Imbolc...*sigh*

I was writing the daily report, and when I typed the date in, it suddenly hit me what today is - Imbolc, also known as Brigid, one of the 8 major festivals of the Wiccan calendar. It's nice that it took me until past 6 pm to remember, but I much prefer it when I forget them completely until some other day.

The only significance this sabbat holds for me is that beyond dedicating myself to all the gods at my initiation, I bound myself specifically to Brigid. I even had a little altar on my wall just to her, and at one time had a Brigid's cross necklace made of pewter. She really was my favorite.

In my studies on the goddess Brigid, I also read stories about the saint - some true and some not true. Some of the myths surrounding the saint are pretty cool, and the real person was quite the innovator in her day. She remains second in popularity to St. Patrick in Ireland.

No comments: