Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Dentist Day, take 5

3 days cheat freeCalories eaten yesterday: 1605
Calories burned: 1940
Calorie deficit/overage: -335
Calories burned in exercise: 80
Fat: 79g (46%)
Net carbs: 54g (14%)
Protein: 111g (29%)

Today I had the periodontal consultation. They explained I needed oral surgery - not just another deep cleaning, but also clipping back the gums to enable me to brush better. They gave me a regular toothbrush and two special brushes and showed me the proper way to use them all.

I accented to the surgery. Total cost: $1800. It looks like Dad will give me the money and accept only the $1400 back that will be the 80% my employer will cover. Dad initially freaked over the cost and I explained that this was a low income dentist and I wasn't going to get a better price anywhere else. They wanted to do the first part of the surgery today and I explained that I would love to, but I had to get to work. The periodontist will be back in two weeks and I am arranging for that day off for the surgery. It's the day of the fire extinguisher training, so I will have to miss that. They will only do half the mouth at a time so it will require two appointments. Oral surgery. Oh fun. (NOT!)

He used the probe to test the pocket depth of my teeth. This goes on a scale of 1-whatever, with 1 being the best. I had a few places that were 1s, and last week I was told I had a few 9s. This guy said I had some 10s!

He said I'm a big girl (size-wise) and that means my teeth are big so the damage is less than it could be and most of my teeth are still fairly firm in the bone, even if there is less bone.

It's good that I had a ton of work done as a child. Before I had braces I had to have eight teeth pulled in two separate operations (including my wisdom teeth). Without the extractions and the braces I'd be much worse off now and need a lot more work.

He said I have periodontal disease. Like diabetes or heart disease, it cannot be cured, only managed. This is the next step in that management. You know your teeth are bad when, after $700 worth of work, you then have to pony up another $1800! Yikes.

At least the periodontist seems like a nice man with a sense of humor. That should make things a little easier.

I took the train to the Collisium BART station, but I just missed the bus. I decided to walk, which would make me about 15 minutes late since it was a quarter to three and roughly a 30 minute walk. I had planned to walk anyway, so I'm glad I had an excuse to.

My tea tree order came today. I'll start using the stuff right away.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Lira said...

Wow.

Wow.

I cannot imagine coping with this. I was very freaked out about just getting my wisdom teeth removed a few years ago. They had to cut my gums because the teeth never fully emerged and were in improper positions beneath the gum tissue.

*shudder*

My sympathies! But I hope the procedure helps.

PJ said...

My dad went through that. Man I'm sorry you have to.

I was just reading about the tons of research done on xylitol related to dental stuff, it's interesting.