Monday, October 30, 2006

Daylight Saving Time and some other stuff

22 days cheat freeCalories eaten yesterday: 1526
Calories burned in exercise: 243
Fat: 70g (43%)
Net carbs: 55g (15%)
Protein: 110g (30%)

Decided to sleep in today. I needed that. I did walk the 1.5 miles to work from the BART station, stopping at WalMart on the way. I got a cute pair of jeans with paint splatters all over them. Tre chic! They are too long in the leg because my legs are so short, and I already have other stuff that needs altering, so I will go and take all those clothes to a place that does that on Friday. There's two places that do alterations in my old stomping grounds on MacArthur Ave. The jeans are size 6 of course because I always take one size smaller at WalMart.

I tried to buy a 20 pound dumbbell, but they didn't have any in stock. They have mini trampolines for $23. I am considering getting one. I used to have one as a kid and it was fun.

The Friday November 10 I have an appointment to give blood. I hope they accept me. They close earlier now so the best I could do was a 2:30 appointment.

One note on the time change I mentioned yesterday. Next year daylight saving starts early and ends late. DST begins March 11 next year and ends November 4. This is a sort of trial run to see how it works out. If it does it will become the new law of the land; if not, we go back to the current system. Of course, if you happen to live in one of the few states that doesn't observe DST, none of this will effect you.

In regard to the date change, this Web site explains:
On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday in March and end the first Sunday in November. The Secretary of Energy will report the impact of this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to resume the 2005 Daylight Saving Time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complete.

Also interesting is that Daylight Saving Time has not always been observed the way it is today. Wikipedia has a whole section on the history. Read this!

And by the way, it's Daylight Saving Time (singlular), not Daylight Savings Time (plural):
Saving is used here as a verbal adjective (a participle). It modifies time and tells us more about its nature; namely, that it is characterized by the activity of saving daylight. It is a saving daylight kind of time. Similar examples would be a mind expanding book or a man eating tiger. Saving is used in the same way as saving a ball game, rather than as a savings account.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish that we didn't have to worry about daylight saving time! It seems kinda silly to me. Now instead of it getting dark at 6:30pm it is dark at 5:30pm!? I wish it was fall ahead and spring back so we had more light at night in the winter instead of in the morning!?

Anonymous said...

It is a illusion they choose to believe. Really affects health in my honest opinion. We play with our body clocks like toys. So foolish.

B---rad!

Anonymous said...

B---RAD! W Says :


V, like the angel! Fitting.
Atkins Angel...=-)

I do note Angelic qualities.
Focused.
Knows the material at hand.


Will not vary when opposed.

Woe to them who cross you in this mission.!! =-P =-)

Alcinda (Cindy) Moore said...

In New England the time change often meant going to work in the dark and getting out in the dark!! I hated it (I'm in NC now, not as bad).

"DST begins March 11 next year and ends November 4."

Those will be easy for me to remember! My birthday and my anniversary! LOL

Love the jeans!