Sunday, October 08, 2006

Zero = fifty-four

First, Friday's totals. I had a mini binge Thursday and then Saturday is my regular semi-cheat day, but Friday was on plan.

Calories eaten Friday: 1551
Calories burned: 1872
Calorie deficit/overage: -321
Calories burned in exercise: 0 (no exercise)
Fat: 66g (40%)
Net carbs: 59g (16%)
Protein: 78g (21%)

The reason I didn't get any exercise is because I stayed home and redid my blue hair color.

Friday was also dentist day, take 4. I went in to have them check the deep cleaning they did two weeks ago. They said it looked a lot better. I pointed out one place on my gums that still bleeds when I brush and they did some quick tartar scaling. They used the probe to test the pocket depth of my teeth. This goes on a scale of 1-whatever, with 1 being the best. I had a few places that were 1s, but I also had a few 7s (!). The dentist said there were a couple places that bled when he probed (better than 2 weeks ago), but that it didn't necessarily mean it was still infected; it could just mean that it was still healing.

tea tree oilI Googled "natural cures for gum disease," and the one thing mentioned over and over was tea tree oil. One site said to put a drop on top of your toothpaste when you brush. I have an appointment with the periodontist this week for a consultation and plan to ask him about anything else I can do to get rid of this gum disease once and for all, as well as what toothpaste he would recommend.

Today I jumped online and bought tea tree oil, tea tree oil mouthwash, and tea tree oil toothpaste from VitaCost (I'm linking more for me than for you).

I also bought more L-Carnitine, against my better judgement. They seemed to have really good prices. Then I came across this page on Carnitine, and the following paragraph might explain why it's not working for me:

Individuals taking L-carnitine as a sports supplement to improve fat metabolism and muscular performance should stop using it at least for one week each month.

It also says to take 1,000-2,000 mg a day, not to exceed 2,000, and to split it into two doses. I will give all these suggestions a try.

I tried to buy more shirataki from Low Carb Connoisseur, but the value pack I usually buy is temporarily unavailable.

bread rice pastaI'm told confession is good for the soul, so now I will tell you why 0 equals 54. Today is 54 days into the low-carb weight loss challenge, and 0 days cheat free, meaning that today is a major cheat.

Yes, I slipped up. I woke up this morning and couldn't face another day on plan. I've been so good for so long; I fell off the wagon. Breakfast found me at McDonald's, then some junk food at Safeway (some for then, some for later - Twinkies, a donut, jalapeno poppers, double chocolate muffins). For a snack I had a small fries at another McDonald's as I walked to work, and a pumpkin muffin and pumpkin Frappuccino at Starbucks. I'm now drinking tons of Diet Pepsi Jazz; I found a 2 liter of Strawberries & Cream - my favorite - at the store.

I did get in an hour 23 minutes of walking and had over 10,000 steps by the time I got to work. I stupidly wore sandals with very thin socks. The balls of my feet rubbed against them the whole way and are now raw and killing me.

I am a true carbohydrate addict. The one thing my body doesn't need is the one thing I crave. Like an alcoholic, I will never be cured. Once you've eaten as much of the forbidden fruit as I have, it holds an allure that will never go away. Lord have mercy.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: