Thursday, November 02, 2006

The good, the bad, and the ugly

25 days cheat freeWeight: 144.8
Calories eaten yesterday: 1668
Fat: 84g (48%)
Carbs: 49g (12%)
Protein: 118g (30%)
Calories burned in exercise: 111

The good:
I got a compliment from a guy at the gym today - two actually. I was working on the machine next to him and he said that I worked out hard, that he'd been watching me. I showed him one of my biceps; I'm really getting some definition, if I do say so myself! He asked me if I took steroids, which was just his way of saying I had big muscles. I said no of course, because I don't. But wasn't that just so sweet?

I was so proud. Those little compliments can mean a lot. :)

The bad:
Don't you hate it when people who don't know you offer advice? "Woo" on the low-carb forum told me yesterday that

1) I cheated because my diet was so restrictive - I only ate meat and veggies and couldn't eat yogurt or fruit. Could someone buy this girl a clue? Sheesh. The truth is that my medication causes carb cravings, and I eat fruit and yogurt on Saturdays.

2) That I wasn't eating enough calories and that I'd lose weight if I'd eat more, that 1700 calories is "pretty severe calorie restriction." The truth is that my resting metabolic rate (RMR) was only 1610 at my last test, and FitDay says that I burn only 1980 calories (before exercise). Therefore, it's impossible for 1700 to be severe restriction.

3) That it's not right for me to be hungry. I need to eat to satiety. The truth is I ate to satiety for three days last week (mostly on legal, low-carb food) and showed no loss because of that. That blows point #2 out of the water right there, lol. The truth is that my medication causes me to be hungry 24/7, so eating to satiety every day would result in weight gain. No question about it.

I didn't ask for advice so I resent her doling it out as if I was some 5-year-old who didn't know what she was doing with her diet. She's only about 25 and doesn't take meds that cause weight gain. She has no idea what 10 years and medication will do. Try to lose weight on a medication with a side effect of weight gain! I wish she could walk a mile in my shoes. Maybe then she'd understand. I never had to worry about weight gain at 25. I could eat to satiety and stayed about the same weight. Not any more. Ah, to be young!

Her insanity begins on (link deleted - I do not promote forums that ban me - lol!) at post #1506 and goes downhill from there.

[Update: I was threatened with banning, but only me, because as we all know, I'm the troublemaker. Always. No one else is ever at fault. Ever.]

[Later update: Oh...now I've been BANNED! First "Kristine" says "You're as welcome here as anyone;" two minutes later I'm banned. LOL! Thankfully, I have a build-in bullshit detector - I just somehow know when someone is about to stab me in the back. I think I'm hypersentive to the cues from the episode with Kathi. At any rate, I did manage to delete all info. in my profile before she nuked me. I knew she was lying - "You're as welcome here as anyone else." If you believe that I have some oceanfront property in Arizona at a really low price. Some moderators are just power hungry. Their loss. At any rate, I'm sure my attackers will be absolutely thrilled.

Come and debate like like real women in a truly open forum without your power to hide behind. I dare you! I don't censor blog comments (the way I was censored there) so go ahead and defend yourself. If you are so much in the right you have no reason to be afraid of the truth. Hmmm?]

The ugly:
The stitches in my mouth from last week's oral surgery come out tomorrow. Yay! The waxy/silly putty type stuff they put along my gum line actually started to hurt, so I figured it was doing more harm than good. I pried them off with my fingers yesterday. The ones along my cheek looked really bad with the bloody stitches exposed, but I feel better without those things stuck in there.

The doctor said not to worry if they came out and I think six days is reasonable to leave them in. My teeth already feel better with them off, not so sore. My teeth are ultra sensitive where they cut back my gums, though. :( Hot and cold hurt if they touch the newly exposed part of the teeth. I hope it goes away and that this isn't permanent. :-p

Tonight will be busy. I need to cook up five packages of ground beef for lunches next week, pack said lunches, and do the laundry. Tomorrow I am making the eggplant lasagna again now that I have found ricotta cheese. Oh shoot, I should have bought an extra package of meat for the lasagna. Rats.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 comments:

Alcinda (Cindy) Moore said...

Personally, I don't pay much attention to Woo....too long winded for me.

I have a friend that had same oral surgery and said it was nasty in the beginning, but healed fairly quickly and healed completely. I hope you get the same results!! Do you use high flouride toothpaste? or sensitive teeth toothpaste? Either should help with the sensitivity.

Oh! and congrats on the compliments!!! I bet you were beaming!!

PJ said...

Yay on the compliments!

Wow, you cook all that meat at once? Maybe that's the way I should do it. Does it last all week without going bad in the fridge? I've had such a hard time having food available when I'm overbusy lately.

Unknown said...

Woo is just mean-spirited. It seems the only thing that's allowed in the maintainer's thread is positive happy happy, joy joy stuff. Stuggling people are not needed nor wanted and will be bashed. I am their favorite target because I've been in an 18 month stall.

Unknown said...

PJ,

Yes, it keeps just fine. If I am worried it might go bad I pop it in my freezer.

Unknown said...

Oooo, I got BANNED! Lovely people.

pendell said...

Hopefully, while you don't ban comments, you DO edit spelling.

" cencor" is actually spelled "censor".

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Anonymous said...

Brad W says:


Ouch. Wow. Sorry to hear the ousting from the forum. If you say the things
that they don't agree to or they think don't fit the kabosh. Rather harsh, but Que Serra....

Hope they reconsider...!

Unknown said...

Thanks Brian! I can't check spelling when I post from home. I'll go fix it.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the compliments.

You said, "She's only about 25 and doesn't take meds that cause weight gain. She has no idea what 10 years and medication will do."

I swear you don't look even 25 yourself.

Anonymous said...

Active Low Carb forum is horrible.

I got banned several years ago, just for disagreeing with some information regarding the Four Corners Diet (formerly the Go-Diet). The coauthor of the book was on the forum and got ticked that I had the nerve to say that there were no studies other than the author's, that back up the premise that yogurt loses carbs in the fermentation process. She flipped, complained and I got banned. No intelligent arguments; nothing.

I don't miss it, there are plenty of wonderful forums out there in internet land where we can freely exchange information. I recommend Low Carb Friends; a great website where you will surely be welcome.

pendell said...

No prob, Sis!

Well ... now you've been banned by Christians and non-Christians. So if we're no better than the world in some ways, it must be gratifying to know at least we're no worse :)

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

Anonymous said...

Newbirth, this is "Annonymous" again! My heart goes out to you in your struggle with medication and carbs.

I am a true carb addict as well but got it under control using the Insulin Resistance Diet by Cheryle Hart. Check out the 72 great reviews on amazon! It is not a really low carb diet, but a balanced carb diet where you MUST balance any carbs with protein. It worked incredibly for me. I can still eat carbs but no longer crave them. It's like the Zone diet, only much, much, much less complicated and easier to follow. It is a lower fat plan, but many people just ignore the low fat recommendations. You can have fruit, and yogurt too! (I saw how you like to eat them on Saturdays).

Just there I'd share something that's working so well for me and that you might want to check out.

Unknown said...

Ah Carol, thanks. :) I'm 35; will be 36 in January. As a teen looking younger than my age was a curse. My Dad told me when I turned 30 I'd be glad. He was right. :)

Anonymous said...

yup, you look great love! not at all 35! I'm 26 and I hope I look like you in 9 years!

by the way, the has-been adult acne is a blessing, you will not get wrinkles!

Lowcarb_dave said...

WOW!

Everyone gets banned from there!

Sorry to hear that!

Maybe I'm next? Who knows? It seems most people are not given proper reasons why.

Dave