Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hurt hammies & preposterous propositions

Calories eaten yesterday: 1023
Fat: 20g (18%)
Carbs: 68g (27%)
Protein: 140g (55%)
Calories burned in exercise today: 333

Went to the gym today and did one hour of weight training (upper and lower body) and decided to do 30 minutes on the elliptical for cardio. Then I took the train to work and walked to work from my stop.

My hamstrings are still really sore. I can do all my other stretches just fine, but bending over and trying to touch my hands to the floor is really painful. One website about running says this can be caused by "running or sprinting downhill at speeds that you are not accustomed to. Running on slopped roads and banked surfaces can cause a hamstring strain as the muscle is over stretched to keep a balanced running stride."

I was certainly running downhill sections in the race, especially toward the end. I let momentum carry me and it felt very much like gliding. I guess it strained my hamstrings a bit though. I did one hamstring exercise at the gym today because that area is obviously weak.

Tomorrow is laundry and Friday is groceries and Costco.

The election returns from yesterday are in. There was only a 22.7% average voter turnout statewide. All propositions went down in defeat except 1F - freezing government salaries in bad years. Hey, I didn't get a cost-of-living pay raise this year, and probably won't get one next year; why should government people be any different?

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about Proposition 1F: "The measure prohibits the state commission that sets salary levels for the governor, other top state officials, and members of the California State Legislature...from increasing those salaries if the state General Fund is expected to end the year with a deficit."

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , ,

No comments: