Sunday, December 20, 2009

I have an eating disorder.

me, Nov. 15I have an eating disorder. Yes, me. Get over it. Don't worry too much because Brad and I are sharing an apartment and we both work for the same employer in the same department. We see each other a lot.

According to Wikipedia,(a)n eating disorder is any psychological condition characterized by abnormal eating habits that may involve either insufficient or excessive food intake to the detriment of an individuals physical and emotional health. Eating disorders are estimated to affect 5-10 million females and 1 million males in the United States. Although not yet classified as separate disorder, binge eating disorder is the most common eating disorder in the United States affecting 3.5% of females and 2% of males according to a study by Harvard affiliated McLean Hospital. Bulimia nervosa was the second most common followed by Anorexia nervosa.

I don't quite meet the criteria for Binge Eating Disorder, but I'm close. Wikipedia says, The formal diagnosis criteria are...that subjects must binge at least twice per week for a minimum period of three months. I usually binge about once a week, although lately it has been closer to twice a week with all the holiday stuff going on.

I do seem to fit the criteria for compulsive overeating. Per Wikipedia,
(a)n individual suffering from compulsive overeating disorder engages in frequent episodes of uncontrolled eating, or binging, during which they may feel frenzied or out of control, often consuming food past the point of being comfortably full. Binging in this way is generally followed by feelings of guilt and depression. Unlike individuals with bulimia, compulsive overeaters do not attempt to compensate for their binging with purging behaviors such as fasting, laxative use or vomiting. Compulsive overeaters will typically eat when they are not hungry.

If that isn't me I don't know what is!

I'll do okay for a few days, but then something just takes over. I know one bite of something can be the kiss of death for me. Saturday's binging started with a donut with my breakfast and it went downhill from there. I'll spare you the details, but it was really bad.

I definitely feel out of control when I binge. I simply can't stop and will eat until I'm not just full, but stuffed. Sometimes I eat so much that I get queasy.

Today Brad and went hiking. We hiked in Redwood Park, but had to cut the hike a little short so I could get back to the parking lot where there was a port-a-potty. After that we went to the San Leandro shoreline and walked the 1 mile parcourse. Total walking time was 2 hours and 22 minutes. Walker Tracker tells me that's about 6.9 miles and FitDay says I burned about 357 calories. :)

After the first walk, we went to Costco and bought protein shakes. They have a kind with only casein and whey proteins (no soy), and lots of added vitamins and minerals so they can be used as a meal replacement. I'm thinking of using them as such for breakfast (on non-gym days) and lunch, then have Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or sardines for dinner. On gym days I of course have my usual whey protein shake before and after my workout. I also need to shoot for about 30g of fat a day, just for good health.

Christmas is coming up so I'll be off plan two days this week (Friday and Saturday), then the week after is New Years so I'll be off plan New Year's Eve (Thursday) and Saturday. Then my birthday 11 days after that (a Monday this year). :-p

No comments: