Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Catholic Bashing

What is it with people on forums who are so set in the mindset of "me, my four, and no more" that they have to go around saying that God is angry at Catholics for (fill in the blank) practice, and Catholics aren't saved? Of course, this person feels they have been appointed by God to save Catholics by bringing them the "Good News."

I'm sick of it. I have a friend who's a Catholic and have every reason to believe she's saved. I do not feel a need to preach to her about the evils of Catholicism to bring her into the truth of Protestantism. Do you see the crazy logic there? When she was intent on joining the Church I tried to support her, for two reasons. 1) She's strong willed and would join whether or not I supported her, so why should I hinder her? and 2) others were trying to hinder her by talking her out of it and I figured support would be welcome. I know how frustrating it was for me when I decided to keep the Sabbath, and how many people worried about me.

I'm not Catholic and have many problems with the Church's teachings. However, we agree on most of the main points of Christian doctrine, such as the Nicene Creed. They are my brothers and sisters in Christ. Why spend time trying to evangelize them (and in the most annoying ways possible) when there are so many unsaved people out there who have never met Jesus?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: Catholic bashing:

I'm not Christian (Pagan), and I've always found this amusing. On and on it goes:

Christian A: Blah, blah, Christian drivel...

Christian B: You're not a TRUE CHRISTIAN because you do/don't do blah, blah, blah.....

Christian C: Well, YOU'RE not a TRUE CHRISTIAN because you do/don't do blah, blah, blah, etc.

And so on right on down the line...

Unknown said...

Exactly. And it's so pointless and useless. The Bible is very clear about what it takes to be saved - "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ." Period. End of statement. Everything else is window dressing.