Thursday, April 28, 2005

Planned Parenthood

Seems that Planned Parenthood is up in arms over a decision by Focus on the Family to use $4 million in private money (NOT public funds as PP uses) to buy ultrasound machines for some Crisis Pregnancy Centers. I'm not sure why they are complaining. PP says, "For women with unintended or unwanted pregnancies, these machines represent missed or messed up priorities. Not the women's, but ours." Messed up priorities? In what way? Is PP afraid of a live birth of an unintended child? Gee, my sister was unintended. Maybe she should have been aborted.

Planned Parenthood gets more than $265 million in taxpayer money every year to fund their programs, and they are complaining that FOTF is spending $4 in private funds to help CPCs?!? What am I missing here?

In case you are wondering about people being trained to operate these machine, FOTF is also providing that out of the $4 million. From what I'm told many CPCs have machines but no one trained to operate them. This will bridge that gap.

How did I hear about all this? Well, quite frankly only because PP kicked up a ruckus. I don't usually listen to FOTF, so it's likely that if PP would have stayed silent, I never would have known. But because they did, a woman named Dawn blogged about it (April 26 entry). In it she links to an article from PP describing the outrage of these machines in CPCs. (FOTF calls them PRCs - Pregnancy Resource Centers. I use the old CPC name because that's the way I learned it.)

I've decided that in honor of PP raising a stink about this that I will donate to FOTF. I never have before, but because PP did this and I heard about it thanks to them, I will do something I wouldn't otherwise do. Take that, PP.

Links:
Ultrasound Machines Placed
Option Ultrasound Update

6 comments:

Richard said...

If Dr. Dobson's group can afford to spend $4,000,000 on this, I guess this "religious" organization isn't short on cash.

Magnum Serpentine said...

This is but one of many tools used by christian reconstructions groups like focus on the family to attack womens rights. And I can think of a million other ways for focus on the family to spend those funds. I believe if you check the people who sent that money in expected it to be used to spread the gospel, not make a political statement.

focus on the un-family should use their funds to feed the poor, not get into politics.


Thank you and....................................................good day

Unknown said...

And counseling women isn't spreading the Gospel? Giving them help with job training and baby supplies and such isn't? Then why is the Salvation Army is existance? They focus more on social programs than anything else. Are they also one of those "reconstuctionist" groups?

And how does an ultrasound erode women's rights? I really don't get it. Are they locking these women up and forcing them to see their baby? Or do these women walk in of their own free will, and can walk out any time they want?

Please...explain how an ultrasound erodes a woman's right to choose.

Unknown said...

Richard,

What's your point? So they have money that's been freely donated to them. So what? People like me make donations. Nothing wrong with that.

And no, I don't get a tax break from my donations. I don't make enough to owe enough taxes to warrent itemizing.

Christina Dunigan said...

magnum and richard, this is an earmarked campaign of private funds. If you think it's a waste of money, donate money to Planned Parenthood so they can spend it on judge-shopping and legal fees to defend their repeated decisions to do abortions on sexually abused underage girls brought in by their abusers.

echotig said...

The funny thing about non- Christians is that they are either not having children, because they believe the world is overpopulated, or whatever, or they are aborting them.

Christians, at least all the ones I know, are having a pretty good amount of kids. I have 5, but the average amongst my friends is 3.

I am going to make a donation, and tell all my friends about this as well. Thanks for the info!