Thursday, July 20, 2006

Glucose Tolerance Test, Spare the Air, and Pictures

3 days cheat freeCalories eaten yesterday: 1672
Calories burned: 1922
Carbs: 44g
Fat: 74g
Calories burned in exercise: 88

Ok, I'm getting a bit more info. on interpreting my glucose tolerance test results and my low insulin reading.

Nawchem on the low-carb forums said

I think your results are showing that you don't have insulin resistance, which is probably what starts hypoglycemia and diabetes. I think your LC fasting bs is higher because your insulin is lower when you low carb. Other things like time of day, stress etc affect it but yours is still totally normal.

And Colette on the official Atkins forum said this:

69 is low but not quite hypoglycemic, anything under 60 is considered hypoglycemic. Yes, all those carbs could have spiked an insulin response which drove your blood sugar down [last week while still low-carbing my fasting glucose was 88]. That may account for the difference in fasting blood sugar readings.

As long as the insulin is under 10, I would not worry about (an) "out of range" reading. Total means it is a snapshot reading of the total amount of insulin in your system when the test was taken at the two hour mark. This really does not tell you much. It is a valuable read if the total was above normal because you can possibly catch an early diagnosis of Insulin Resistance. In your case, there is no need for concern
[corrected for spelling].

Walked the last leg to work today. Hardly anybody else was walking because it's a Spare the Air day and public transit is free. FitDay says I burned 94 calories.

Here's some pictures I took on the last Spare the Air day. The quality isn't great because they were taken with my cell phone camera. Click the photos to enlarge them.




Found flax meal at Safeway today. I bought it, brought it home, measured out two tablespoons, and plan to put it in my yogurt today. I tasted a little and it tastes nutty and not bad at all. I like it, so I think this will work out fine. :) At the very least it can't hurt. It's a very healthy food.

I also found sugar free Torani syrup. Yummy and since it's made with liquid Splenda it truly has no carbs! The only SF flavor Safeway has is Hazelnut, so that's what I bought.

Stopped at WalMart on my way in to work. I saw body pillows there, and it's something I've been considering for a very long time. I got the bright pink one. :) Also bought a strainer. Been trying to find one for a while. I've been straining with pot lids, so this will help. I also bought a new cushion for the chair; the current one is rather old. And I spotted the cutest little kitchen rug (picture) with a wine glass design. That is SO me. :) The last thing I bought was a brand of sugar free gum I hadn't tried before but was highly recommended by the person ahead of me in line. It's called Stride, and is supposed to have longer lasting flavor.

Today is payday, but due to the change in bank accounts, I have a live check. Hopefully by the end of the next cycle my direct deposit will be back in place. For now, I'll have to deposit it myself, and that will have to wait until next week. I just don't feel like leaving the house tomorrow just to go to the bank. If I decide to go for a walk or something I can always include the bank in that.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: