Sunday, July 09, 2006

This Fallen World (reprise)

I don't know what it is about summer that brings out the criminals. My purse got snatched today while I was waiting for the bus headed for the gym. He ran up the street, jumped into his car, and sped off before I knew what happened. At least there was no gun this time.

Unlike last time where they only took my wallet, this time they took the whole purse including my keys, my bus/train passes, and my cell phone. And that cute little kitty key ring I got as a late Christmas present.

Please pray. I'm frazzled, scared, shaken (not stirred) (that was a little humor there). Pray for the recovery of my stuff, even though I know the money will be gone. Pray someone finds the purse.

I got a spare house and gate key from the building manager, and have to get copies made. I got tomorrow off work to start all this. I don't think my home address was anywhere in my purse (I use my P.O. box for everything), but please pray for protection for my apartment, the stuff inside it, and my cats. I'm at work as I type this because not coming in wasn't an option. I really wish I were home.

I ordered a new cell phone - will cost $80, but then I get a mail-in rebate for $50. I cancelled my debit card (I don't have credit cards), and stopped payment on all the checks that were stolen (including a couple still floating around). I think I want to close out my account just to be safe, but I have to go to a branch to do that.

I have a confession and a question, if I may be permitted to get so open on a public blog. I've been giving to my church each time I get paid like clockwork. I get a paycheck, I write out a check to them based on percentage. Well, I got paid last Thursday and after subtracting the grocery receipts and writing out a check for half the rent, I was already in negative numbers. So for the first time since I can remember I didn't give anything to the church. And then my purse gets stolen today. Is God punishing me?

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , ,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, that sucks about your purse!! If someone stole my purse I'd be freaking out!! I always wear mine crossed over though so they'd have to literally rip it off over my head, which wouldn't be easy.

I'll not comment on the god bit, since I'm completely non-religious... but I really do hope you get your things back!

Anonymous said...

Hello, Sis. Brian P. here.

IMO, if God was punishing you for something, he'd tell you. Read in the OT ... when he was punishing someone for what they did, he gave them a lot of warning in advance. He'd also say what he was doing, and why he was doing it.

That didn't happen in this case.

So that isn't punishment. It's just part of life in this sinful world ... of "being made perfect through suffering".

Happens to me too. We just got a $120 optometrist bill that our insurance was *supposed* to cover but didn't. Now we get to spend hours, perhaps days on the phone with the company ... and probably wind up paying the $%#$%$^ bill anyway.

God doesn't protect us from all evil in this sinful world .. some of it he leaves in there, to teach us how to deal with adversity as his children.

And to teach us to love and care for each other. I'll be praying for you.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

-- although, more practically, you might consider a move if feasible. This is the second time you've been robbed in two years. -- BDP.

Anonymous said...

Victoria, he isn't punishing you. This is what we must endure in the world. Ask you will receive, knock and the door will be opened. Ask the Lord about it and let Him guide you to His answer.

Lira said...

I will be praying.

Unknown said...

Normally, I can deal with my money okay. Unfortunetly, I recently has a $240 expense, and haven't gotten my head above water since then. I also paid for my August vacation a couple months back so my savings account is currently empty. Otherwise, I could use that money to help out.

Lowcarb_dave said...

Sorry to hear about the robbery!

That is a violation of privacy, and has caused you massive hassle. The one little thing.

I wish there was some solution to crime.

Dave