Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Carbs, surgery follow-up, and more on meters

Calories eaten yesterday: 1707
Fat: 90g (50%)
Carbs: 39g (10%)
Protein: 119g (29%)
Calories burned in exercise: 94

Last year during the holidays I cut my carbs back to about 40g a day and that took away my cravings. I find myself cutting carbs and calories now to try to get my recent weight regain back off, and once again I have no cravings at about 40g. It is great! I'm hardly tempted by all the cookies and other carby foods around here. I'm also allowing myself a "taste" of forbidden foods (usually 1-3 bites). Knowing what something tastes like will often take away my craving for it. After all, it's the taste that makes it worth eating, and every bite after the first is the same, no?

Been researching hot alcoholic drinks for the holidays. It looks like the easiest (remember, I'm all about easy) would be a sort of mulled wine using orange spice and cinnamon teabags. I found that recipe on the Web site of a tea company. The recipe also calls for sugar, but I figure I can substitute Splenda. It's just too cold to have my favorite of pina coladas. I am constantly cold. I got a hot buttered rum recipe I intend to try this weekend. If I like it I'll post it here.

Had my follow-up at the podiatrist. I am cleared to not go back anymore! Yay! If I need an appointment for some reason I can set one up, but for the first time in years I walked out his office today without having to make another appointment. :)

He said my toe is healing quite well. The nail bed is rising up a bit now that there's no toenail pressing on it. Hopefully it will rise up more and be totally flat eventually. He said to continue soaking my foot twice a day until the end of the week and then I can go to once a day. I can stop soaking it when it stops draining. By next week I shouldn't wear the gauze at night to let the nail bed air out. He said the toenail really had been the problem and that it came off quite easily last week. He admitted that we had tried everything and it just wasn't working. I'm still not glad I did it, but I'm sure I will be when it heals.

The second half of my oral surgery is set for January 18, a Thursday. I'll get the day off work and one of the newbies here will fill in for me. (We just hired two new people.) I wonder if my slightly elevated blood sugar levels will get down to normal by the surgery. I will monitor to see how the surgery raises it.

My Ascensia Elite XL monitor kit arrived today. Since I found out about Dr. Bernstein's new recommendation after I bought this, I'll hold onto it unopened for now. Once I get the Accu-Chek Aviva and give that a try, I'll figure out what to do. If the Aviva is accurate, I'll hold onto it; if not I will sell it back and open the Ascensia and give that a try.

In the end I'd like to have two meters - one I use on a daily basis, and one to use if my regular meter gives me an odd reading, to double check. So far I am very happy with the TrueTrack. It seems to give "true" readings. ;)

Here's a picture of my kit that I took last night. Click on the photo to go to its Flickr page to see a larger photo and read the notes.

my blood sugar testing kit


Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: