Tuesday, December 12, 2006

More on TrueTrack & OneTouch, and my surgery

Calories eaten yesterday: 1967
Fat: 114g (54%)
Carbs: 45g (9%)
Protein: 131g (28%)
Calories burned in exercise: 109

Xena & AbbyFirst, something totally off topic. Brad bought me these stuffed cats. The Xena cat (gray) even has a belled collar just like the real one, and Abby (orange) has no collar just like the real one (though you'd never get a bow on her!). They are so cute I put them under my Christmas tree.

Did some more comparison testing between my TrueTrack and One Touch meters. Last night they were pretty close. The TrueTrack (TT) was 73; the OneTouch (OT) was 75. This is the only time I've seen the OT reading higher. Usually the TT is higher.

This morning the numbers were once again close: TT was 87; OT was 81. After I worked out the number went haywire. I expected a rise since working out makes the liver dump more glycogen into the blood, but my TT said 113 and the OT said 92. That's a 21 point difference! I had lunch around 6 pm and the readings were closer again: TT=76 and OT=70.

The TT does seem closer to the lab values I get for fasting glucose. The labs come back in the 88-90 range, and my TT pegs me between 81 and 94. So far the one morning reading I did on the OT came out to 81. I know that can't be right. Can the cheaper meter really be more accurate?

I think I finally discovered my glucose spike. Everyone says test one hour after for the highest reading, but by then most of the spike is over for me. Before lunch at 6:05 pm I was TT=76 and OT=70. By 6:40 I had spiked and my numbers were TT=127 and OT=110. Geez. I only ate about 10g of carbs. That's a 40 to 50 point jump. A little over an hour after eating I was back down to 85 on the OT. I didn't use the TT.

The ten strips than came with my OneTouch meter are gone and the ones I have on order won't be here for a while. I stopped by a drugstore and asked about OneTouch strips, explaining I only had two left (I actually had three left, but I miscounted). Anyway, the only type they had was the gray box, mail order type. The woman at the counter talked to the pharmacist and he said to go ahead and sell it to me. Whew! And it was under $11! Wowsers! I'm guessing maybe that's because it's mail order instead of retail? I don't know, but that's hella cheap!

My toe surgery is tomorrow. I'm having the toenail on the big toe of my left foot permanently removed. I've been treating it for ages and it's just not getting better. I'm taking the day off so I may or may not be around. If I'm not around I promise a post anyway. I like a keep at least one post "in the wings" at all times so that I can post something even when I'm not really around.

I plan to dose up on Vicodin, Ibuprofen, and maybe some Advil, too. And take 1 or 2 of my Xanax tablets to calm me down. I make no apologies; I'm allergic to pain and the shot they give to numb to the toe is going to hurt like crazy.

After the appointment I'm getting a ride home and plan to sleep it off. I'm supposed to only miss one day of work, but Brad said to let him know if I want Thursday off, too (my Friday). Brad said he's willing to do another 12 hour shift, and I know Lisa would more than likely be willing to do another 12, too. We'll see how I feel.

Made it to the gym today. I did 45 minutes of weight training, 30 on the crossramp elliptical, and 11 walking on the treadmill. FitDay says I burned 275 calories. I did the lateral pulldown for the first time in forever, and I was so much stronger. I could do up to 90 pounds and still control my movement (no jerking or leaning back). Yay for me! The blah part is I've gained about 5 pounds from my "eat to satiety" experiment so the weight-assisted chin up is harder than usual.

I'm going to be really good until my birthday. I'll cheat a bit on Christmas Day and New Year's Eve - no calorie counting those days, but only low-carb foods. More or less I'll treat those days the way I treat Saturdays.

Other than that, I plan to be good until my birthday. For my birthday all bets are off and I will eat off plan and enjoy every minute and every bite. Hey, you only live once and even cavemen sometimes stumbled upon honey and would eat until drunk from the sugar.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Been praying for your podiatry surgery to go well. I'll see you tonight to see how well you are doing. Take care and enjoy the days off plan =-)=-P If you need anything let men know. B

Anonymous said...

Men...me hahahahahahahaaaa. =-D.. ooops