Sunday, December 31, 2006

A Look Back at 2006: Facing My Fears

Happy New Year 2006A Look Back at 2006: Facing My Fears

I hit my weight goal in January at 142, but I wasn't able to hold that weight. As soon as I tried maintaining my weight crept up to 148. For most of the year I have hovered around 145.

I dyed my hair pink in January, but didn't like it. When it faded out, I went back to blue, and it is still blue.

February marked two years of working out, and March marked my two year anniversary on Atkins.

In March I met Brian and Susan from Virginia (pics). I know Brian from the CH Refugee forum.

I didn't receive a Vicki Box last year, so one person on the forum took it upon themselves to send me one so I wouldn't be left out, even if I didn't receive it until April.

I also opened a Flickr account in April and now have almost 650 photos! Check it out!

In May I ran the Bay To Breakers race, and not only made a new best time, but also a goal I've had my eyes on for a long time: I finished in less than an hour and a half at 1:29:44. That's unofficial time by my watch. Official time is a couple minutes more because of the time it takes to cross the start line. Here's some of my times from past races.

Our church did the 40 Days of Purpose this year. Not sure I learned a whole lot from it, but it does have a lot of good theology, so it's not a bad thing.

I started wearing a pedometer and it has made me aware of how easy it it to walk almost no steps in the course of daily life, and inspired me to walk more. I walk the last 1.5 miles to work fairly often, and I even started walking around Lake Merritt occasionally. I also signed up with Walker Tracker as a way to log my steps.

I briefly hit the 130s in June, only to bounce WAY up in July after my glucose tolerance test.

I also had my purse ripped off in July. A beautiful, warm, clear Sunday morning and someone snatched it and ran. Days like that I can't wait for heaven. I guess my purse being stolen was the reason for the extra Vicki box I received in July. :)

In August I attended General Conference in New York. Next year it will be in Oregon, thank goodness. A six hour flight each way is not my cup of tea.

Brad found me a used exercise bike just as old as the one I had, but some of the features (such as speedometer and odometer) still worked. So I got rid of my old one and now have the new one.

Speaking of which, the post I linked to mentioned giving blood. Here's the actual post about it. I got over my fear and actually started giving blood this year. I found out my iron level probably isn't too high, but what the heck, it can't hurt and actually does help someone. :)

I hung out a couple times with Brad, Davina, and Lisa this year, and it was fun. (September hang out pics)

I decided that if I was going to give blood, I need to make sure that I have no infections, so I started seeing the dentist after years of ignoring my teeth. I've had a couple regular cleanings now, a deep cleaning, and the first half of the oral surgery I need. The second half will be in January. I also have four cavities.

I started experimenting with various different recipes this year. All of mine are fairly easy because - well, if you know me you know I don't like to cook. :) These are all easy AND delicious AND healthy because they are all low-carb.

I visited Dad and Millie and April and Renato over Thanksgiving. It was an interesting time since my sister think fat is evil and carbs are healthy. I still managed to mostly stick to my diet while there so the damage was minimal compared to what it could have been.

I decided I wanted to check my blood sugar with lancets and a meter and strips. I can't afford full price for things, but eBay has everything. I've finally settled on sticking with the first meter I bought, the TrueTrack (photos).

If you look through the archive for November and December you will see several mentions of my meter saga.

As you may remember I have been seeing a podiatrist for the fugal infection under my nail for a loooong time. Well, this year I finally got fed up with it and opted to have the toenail permanently removed. Problem solved. As this year ends it is still healing.

I'm also still healing from a nasty cold. I can't remember the last time I was this sick. I think the toe surgery pushed my immune system over the edge. First I got three cold sores, and that was followed by a nasty cold that, as of new year's eve, I've still not recovered from.

All in all a pretty stable year (yay for stability!), but a year of facing my fears of the dentist and giving blood. I've avoided the dentist to avoid pain, and I fainted when I gave blood as a teen.

And what of God? Where does He fit in to an increasingly busy life that doesn't revolve around Him? Is He somebody I go to see once a week, like a favorite grandparent? Why? Shouldn't He be more like a Father I live with and talk to each day? After 10 years I've become too comfortable with Him. I've lost the passion I first had. It seems I only draw near to Him, ask for His help, in the middle of the storm.

Father, help me to include You more in my life. Remind me to talk with You more.

As each year draws to a close I write these little essays and try to sum up the year in a short title or subtitle. Some years are hard, with painful titles such as Losing Everything (2004) or Dark Night of the Soul (2000). Others hint at happier years, such as Year of the Cat (2002) or Blessed Stability (2005).

God bless the upcoming year.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Lady Atkins :)

Too Fat To Fly... said...

Happy New Year to you & yours...

...Wishing you all the very best for the year 2007!

Lins x

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year V, and I pray for you a new year of joy with all the blessings you can contain. Thanks for your wonderful encouragement, care, kindness and friendship. You are a treasure of great value, and worth.

Quite a few accomplishments you have attained in your life pursuits. What gifts you are given. What grace.
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Psalm 31. =-)