Sunday, December 17, 2006

Update on Dreamfields, meters, and my surgery

December 16, 2006 Dreamfields pasta experiment. Total carbs eaten - about 15g and no more than 20g. Two servings Dreamfields pasta (10g), low-carb tomato pasta sauce (about 5g), 1 can Diet Rite cola sweetened with Splenda (less than 1g).

First bite: 5:15 pm, blood sugar - 89.
5:45 pm - 122 (I get my highest reading a half hour in)
6:00 pm - 121
6:15 pm - 90 (I'm back in normal range 1 hour in)
6:30 pm - 95
6:45 pm - 112 (I soaked my foot due to my recent surgery. Could this have caused my blood sugar to go up?)
7:00 pm - 112
7:15 pm - 105 (heading down again)
7:30 pm - 118 (WTF?!?)
7:45 pm - 119 (WTF again?!?)
8:00 pm - 126 (How can it still be going UP?!?)

I gave up at this point. Too hungry. Will try again at some point and try to control all variables. But overall it looks like Dreamfields sucks for a low-carb diet.

Last night my blood sugar was 100 before bed (after stuffing myself with way too many low-carb treats after the Dreamfields experiment). This morning it was 118! Yike! And after my workout I came to work and tested and it was 115. What is going on with these horrible readings? Do I need to have a lab test my fasting glucose again?

Accu-Chek AvivaI found out the article about Dr. Bernstein's recommendation of the Assencia Elite meter is outdated. He now recommends the Accu-Chek Aviva. I have some money from the sale of the OneTouch Ultra 2 in my paypal account, so I used that money to buy a meter and test strips. Click the photo to enlarge.

My work out today was pretty hard and long. I've gained weight and my fat jeans are now hard to pull on, so it's time to get serious. I did the standard 45 minutes of weights and 1/2 hour of cardio. Then I only had 12 minutes for the treadmill, but I decided to also walk to work, so 32 additional minutes of walking there. FitDay says 375 calories burned. This will be my only gym day all week. Monday is another mail run into the City, Tuesday is Helen, Wednesday I see the podiatrist for follow-up to my surgery last week, and Thursday is the weekly grocery run. Maybe Brad and I can go walking Friday. That would be nice.

I also need to cut back on food and eat A LOT less. I certainly need much less food that my stomach thinks I do, and even less than I think I do. Pray for me. I don't deal well with hunger.

toe bandageSurgery-wise I'm healing. My toe still looks horrible, but this is a traumatic injury to the body and it will take a while. This is a picture of what my toe looks like with the bandage on. Click to enlarge. The latest photo with the bandage off can be found here. This is less gross than the last one. And please remember, most of the time it doesn't hurt.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Alcinda (Cindy) Moore said...

I would think the screwy numbers could be related to your toe. Not only the soaking, but just the trauma to your body!
Dr Vernon posted on blood sugar elevation after tooth extraction: http://rjr10036.typepad.com/askdrvernon/2006/12/elevated_blood_.html

Unknown said...

Actually, someone on a forum pointed out to me that the Dreamfields is being metabolized slowly. You can see the first insulin response get my blood sugar down, but the pasta sugar continued to enter my bloodstream and the secondary response takes more time.

http://www.diabetes-book.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1165795898/16#16

At any rate, it looks like Dreamfields is out except for a very occational food.

Unknown said...

You know, you might be on to something. I'll gather my recent readings and post them tomorrow to get the before and after averages from my surgery.