Saturday, December 16, 2006

Mutants, meters, and muscle

Calories eaten Thursday: 1516
Fat: 75g (46%)
Carbs: 39g (11%)
Protein: 91g (25%)
Calories burned in exercise: 247

Calories eaten Friday: 1869
Fat: 98g (50%)
Carbs: 48g (11%)
Protein: 113g (26%)
Calories burned in exercise: 197

I'm a mutant. No really, I am. I don't fit in anywhere except with other mutants. The people at church all know I'm a mutant. I'm uncouth and say the wrong things. I'm not big on everything being sparkling clean. I follow the "10 second rule" when I drop food. I touch food (they believe touching is bad, even if you just washed your hands). I dye my hair weird colors. I eat a strange diet because I refuse to stuff myself with carbs. I'm sick of being an outsider simply because I don't follow all their prim and proper rules - act like they think I should, never say anything wrong, dye my hair natural looking colors, and eat a diet of carbs, carbs, and more carbs. Metabolic and weight issues don't matter. Eating low-carb simply isn't normal.

Today, after yet another faux pau I quietly took my plate into another room at the church and finished eating alone. Then I started cleaning up. I like cleaning up - it's an alone job. But even in this I make faux paus - today I threw out what was left of Jane's salad and Jane said I shouldn't have. In my zeal to combine things so I can get the dishes washed I've done things like put tomatoes into Becky's salad and she gets mad at me because the tomatos were watery and would make the lettuce wilt. Only one person has thanked me for cleaning up every week - Pastor Brent. No one else notices or cares.

Quite simply, I can't do anything right. Why am I even there? I'll never fit in at any church. Pastor Rick Warren said that every church has its black sheep that doesn't fit in. I know who that is in my church - me.

In every church and in every small group there is always at least one "difficult" person, usually more than one. These people may have special emotional needs, deep insecurities, irritating mannerisms, or poor social skills. You might call them EGR people - "Extra Grace Required." (The Purpose Driven Life, pg. 149)

My item on eBay sold quickly - the very next day. Yay! I did find one problem with my listing - I actually only had 125 strips, not 150. I put in a different box of strips (with an eariler expiration date) so that the buyer would receive 150. I hope she doesn't notice. :-p Anyway, the meter and 150 test strips are sold and will be mailed on Monday when I do my city run to mail the rest of my Christmas presents out - the Vicki box and a diabetic organizer for Dad.

Moderate exercise can bring high blood sugar down. My blood sugar was 99 Friday morning, up from 89 the night before. I had coffee and my vitamins but no breakfast. 3 1/2 hours later it had crept up to 102. So I jumped on my exercise bike for a 1/2 hour and that got my blood sugar down to 93.

I got another compliment at the gym on Thursday. :) A couple guys were doing heavy lifting with free weights and one of them told me I was working out hard - I was curling a 20 pound dumbbell at the time - and I showed him my biceps and he asked if I was on steroids! What a nice compliment. :)

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

Alcinda (Cindy) Moore said...

RE: the church people. Not a very Christian group are they?

Maybe they're jealous of you! You've lost a lot of weight, and you are your own person. Ignore them. Sounds like they're not worth the effort!

Anonymous said...

Let's chat for a minute. Maybe it's time to church shop. When you have confidence of who YOU are and are okay with that, then others will usually adapt.

I myself went church shopping when I no longer felt content in my church. One of the items I looked for was a group to take ME in. I came from a church who had 1,000 + members and there were no clicks.

I can't stand those who call themselves Christians, but fail to see that those who need the most help are what Jesus called our sinners and outsiders. Oh yeah, aren't we all sinners in need? I believe so.

Now, just because Jane can't say "thanks" and walk on is not your problem. I tell people who are negative like that, "Well, next week I'll see you in the kitchen then right? If not, then I suggest you get your salad right away before it gets thrown away. I was cleaning so let's not forget that." Then turn away and when they rebuttal just make noises, "Uh, I'm sorry, I was the one cleaning so see you next week."

Sure, I can be a bit rude sometimes, but I will not be defeated from doing what I thought best. When I clean at work I don't even clean their dishes. If they forgot to get them out by my due date the whole darn dish goes in the trash. No one has forgotten a dish after my 1st 2 months of cleaning and my "I don't want to hear it. You didn't do a darn thing did you?"

I know this is a huge comment, but now for my compliment to you: I love your way with words. I love that you have committed your life to Christ and help others with that. I love that unlike my wishy washy eating habits you stick with the low carb thing. If I ever made it your way I'd look you up to hang out. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sis,

I'm a mutant too. That's why I like you and that's why we're still friends after ... seven years, is it?

Us mutants should stick together.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Anonymous said...

A-men Brian.

I didn't fit in with Family and at times I wonder if I fit in with God's people or any others. Have had my issues. Yet, the Father will not let me stray away. Even amongst friends I have felt at times awkward and ill placed. Like a extra tool that can be dispensed with.

Having been homeless and a singular traveller I struggle with it all. I like being alone it seems. But, that is not Christ. He brings me to fellowship with those who I can connect with for my good. Not many can bear me IMHO. Thank You Lord for that. Else I'd be out in the woods in my Hobbit house.=-)