Sunday, December 24, 2006

More on the TrueTrack & Aviva meters

First, I have a Christmas poem to share with you. Since it's already been published on my blog, I'll just link to it here. Please take a moment to read it. I think it's one of my better poems. I wrote it my first Christmas as a Christian, so it is appropriately titled:

My First Christmas

Ok, now onto other stuff.

Calories eaten Thursday: 1943
Fat: 103g (49%)
Carbs: 36g (8%)
Protein: 118g (25%)
Calories burned in exercise: 0

Calories eaten Friday: 1782
Fat: 85g (44%)
Carbs: 39g (9%)
Protein: 100g (23%)
Calories burned in exercise: 353

Well, after the TrueTrack and Aviva meters performed quite stellar testing a drop of blood from the same finger at the same time, they didn't do so well using different fingers at the same time. A few hours later I pulled them out and tested and the TrueTrack read 94 and the Aviva read 81. I don't ever get readings in the low-80s, so I tend to believe the TrueTrack. Geez Louise. Why can't they make meters more accurate?

Thursday night the Aviva said 85 and the True Track said 100. A 15 point difference and I tested from the same finger! Fasting glucose Friday morning was 96 on the Aviva and 104 on the TrueTrack, and that was from the same drop of blood on the same finger! I tend to believe the TrueTrack since my blood sugar has been running a bit high since my surgery.

Sunday fasting readings (same finger) were 91 (Aviva) and 99 (TrueTrack). Again, I believe the TrueTrack is closer to the truth. If you're looking for a meter, get the TrueTrack.

TrueTrack information
TrueTrack on eBay

Muliclix lancet deviceHere's my newest eBay offering:
Accu-Check Multiclix lancet device & 12 lancets *NIB*

It's a great lancet device, and the type I use. Please bid on it if you like.

Here's some blood test photos a friend took this weekend. I thought they looked very nice. Click them to enlarge. As you can see, I'm using my Accu-Chek Multiclix lancet device. :)

pricking my finger to test my blood sugar

drop of blood ready for testing

putting my blood on a test strip

Fasting blood sugar this morning was 99. I had black coffee and two strips of bacon for breakfast, worked out, and had a low-carb protein shake. When I arrived at work it was 102. I really hope my toe heals fast and that these high readings are just my body trying to heal the wound.

Made it to the gym today. It will be closed tomorrow and rain is forecast so I may not be able to walk the last 1.5 miles to work. Anyway, I did weight training, then for cardio I set a treadmill to the max incline of 15% and walked about 2.5 mph for 20 minutes. Then I walked flat at 3.5 mph for 30 minutes. FitDay says 314 calories.

I'm trying to cut way back on eating today to make up for overeating yesterday and for what is sure to be overeating tomorrow. For tomorrow I'm just putting up 3000 calories on FitDay. That should be a close approximation. I'll do the same New Year's Eve.

Brad and I have a nice low-carb dinner planned tomorrow - ham, salad, cauliflower mashed "potatoes," vegetable casserole, flax bread with Splenda-sweetened cream cheese "frosting," and sugar free chocolate cheesecake. Yum! To drink we have sugar-free blue raspberry martini mix, but we're mixing it with Perrier since we can't drink alcohol at work.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

mad4books said...

Wow. I admire your dedication! (I'm on the Sugar Busters diet, trying to prevent the diabetes that runs rampant on my DNA strand...and found your blog ACCIDENTALLY by clicking on the "Next Blog" button after checking on my own.)

We do cauliflower "mashed potatoes," too! (OTOH, we're totally drinking mojitos--hubby makes mine with Splenda--because we're off until after New Year's.) :-)

May God bless you and your family and your pets in 2007!

A sister in Texas,
Kristy