Monday, August 28, 2006

Giving blood

13 days cheat freeCalories eaten yesterday: 1540
Calories burned: 1972
Calorie deficit/overage: -432
Carbs: 43g
Fat: 71g
Calories burned in exercise: 221

I know I'll show a gain for the week when I weigh-in tomorrow. *sigh* I'll just keep plugging along, doing the best I can, and see if some weight doesn't come off after a few more weeks. Even counting my sky high Saturdays I still burn more calories than I eat when you factor in the other six days. I should be losing.

This blog is now on the new Blogger Beta. So if things look a little different, that's why. They are still working out the bugs, so if you see anything that doesn't work, e-mail me so I'll know.

Brad brought to my attention that I never posted the pictures of the new bike like I promised. So here you go - pics of the new (used) exercise bike that Brad brought me.

the new bike Brad brought

instrument panel on new bike
Click to enlarge the pictures.

I'm thinking about giving blood. In The Protein Power LifePlan, the Eades' contend that it is not just a great civic thing to do, but that it is actually healthy. Most of us have too much iron, and giving blood is a great way to keep iron levels down. And so I am actually seriously considering the proposition for the first time in a long time. My only experience giving blood was about 20 years ago and I fainted afterwards. That took away any desire to give blood for a loooong time after that.

I looked up the Red Cross donation center closest to me (enter zip code on left), printed out their hours, and even plotted the bus route I'd need to take. When they took my blood before, they said my finger prick test revealed a low blood sugar and made me eat some crackers and wait 20 minutes, plenty of time to get more and more nervous. I think I will handle it better this time, and a Xanax beforehand wouldn't hurt either. ;)

I tried to give blood about 10 years ago after I screwed up my courage at a church drive. During the interview portion the man noticed I had an active cold sore and said I couldn't give blood with that. Now would be the perfect time because eating low-carb has made me healthier; I can't remember the last time I had a cold sore. (Pimples and eczema have gone away, too.) Of course, on low-carb I will have to turn down the juice or cookies afterward. I can bring something low-carb to eat to minimize the stress on my system.

I think Friday would be the best day; it would just mean not being able to work out that day, or working out very early.

Walked over 10,000 steps yesterday. :)


Click to enlarge.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Need to take a picture on the bike after an exercise session. You should be drinking a Pepsi Jazz and stating "you must work to get the pounds off with Atkins and old fashioned work."