Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Funny but sad

This will be a short post - just a quick rant, really. People on the Active Low-Carbers forum totally got their panties in a wad because I *gasp* took pictures of fat people. That I take pictures of lot of other things also they didn't want to think about. No, they focused on 6 pictures out of 258, lol! The other 252 don't matter because those don't support their argument.

First, the set with the pictures that offended them. Tell me what you all think. Does it offend you? Why? Honestly, why do you feel the way you do. Examine the whys behind your immediate feelings and respond from a place of thought, not emotion.

Public Transit set

They totally missed this set of self-deprecating photos where I say much worse things about myself. (Notice especially the earlier pictures.) Some of the photos have notes if you mouse over them.

Weighty Issues set

It seems it's either okay to take pics of thin people but not fat people (they gave no reason why this is so), or it's not okay to take any pictures at all, with no regard for the Bill of Rights or what reporters do every day. How am I different than a reporter taking candid shots of fill-in-the-blank that is then broadcast locally or even around the world?

Additionally, they won't think about their biases or the contradictory beliefs they hold simultaneously. I think it's called "cognitive dissonance," and it is a wonder to behold. I think most of us have these areas in our thought, but few of us are willing to challenge those contradictions and think them through when they are pointed out. The people who lambasted me are obviously part of that category, and it's sad. Will you be willing to examine your biases and really think through why something offends (or not)? Then post your thoughts (not your emotions).

[Edit - NO emotional posts will be accepted. If you think I'm wrong (or right) say so and then state why. "You're wrong and rude and I would assault you if you took my picture" is not a valid arguement and from now on will be deleted. I asked nicely. Now I'm telling you - I want rational discourse. If you are not up to that, then don't comment. If you don't know what a rational argument is, here's a Web page that explains the rules of debate. For example, comment #2 here used the fallacy of "Appeal to Force" - "I don't like what you are doing and I would hurt you if I saw you doing so."

I don't get it. This class was a required class in college for me. It seems that few other people have taken this class, though.

BTW, I talked to a co-worker and friend last night, who is both chunky and short. She's fat, and has stated as much on her blog, and that she's doing something about it (by eating smaller portions and healthier food). She said she would not be offended - she'd probably laugh if she found her picture posted somewhere.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 comments:

... said...

Well, I am somewhat unsure about that topic, one reason being that in my part of the world the legal situation differs tremendeously from yours. Over here, people are entitled to a complete copyright of all pictures of their person (on which they are he main motif), as long as they are not VIPs / historical or political celebs = persons of immanent public interest. So, legally, I am not allowed to take pictures of strangers and publish them without written consent.

As a photographer, I find that somewhat painful. But I do see some sense in allowing people to have control over the use of pictures of their face. *I* wouldn't be too happy with someone taking pictures of me and publishing them without asking me - regardless of the question if it is a good-natured, fabulous, lousy or critical photo of myself. I feel the least thing someone taking a picture of myself could do, if s/he uses that pic for whatever purpose, is to ask the subject if it is ok for him/her to use that photo.

On the other hand... I do take pictures of strangers sometimes, and I do post them on flickr every now and then, even without consent, because I think that photojournalism - a way to illustrate certain points or show people a variety and diversity of other people of this planet - is as important as personal rights. So I am still undecided...

Anonymous said...

Wow.. I had this discussion a while back about taking photos of people without their consent.

You stated that the one woman saw you and moved so you had to be more sly to get the next photo. Didn't the fact that she moved tell you that she might not have wanted her photo taken?

Taking photos in a public place where people happen to be in the line of shot is one thing. Purposely taking photos of people for the purpose of criticising them AND putting their faces in the photo is another.

I think the entire thing is incredibly judgemental, not to mention a complete lack of privacy for these people.

If I were that black lady in the jeans and saw you trying to take a pic of me on the sly after making it obvious I didn't want you to (by moving seats) you'd be eating that camera, I'm sorry.

Rude.

Unknown said...

THE PURPOSE WAS NOT TO CRITISIZE! Frig! Did any of you read the commentary on that photo? I think not or you'd know that I didn't say one single bad thing about her! I really have NO clue where you people are coming up with this stuff.

And I might eat the camera, but YOU would be in jail for assault, toots. Taking pictures is not illegal; assualt is a felony the last time I checked. What was that my dad always said about flies, honey, and vingar. You are such a "vingar" person.

I guess photojournalists should all be stripped on their cameras then, because I am doing the same thing they are.

And...you responded from emotion, exactly what I said NOT to. Examine your biases and post with some THOUGHT next time. I enjoy RATIONAL discourse, not an emotion laden comment that says, "You're wrong," but does little to explain WHY.

Unknown said...

You take artful photos. I thought they were all excellent and perfectly tasteful. I thought the overweight people were exceptional and candid. And how can anyone take photos in public today and not easily find overweight subjects? 66 percent of everyone is overweight, after all. I think some people have their feeling stuck out for their own reasons.

Lira said...

I don't see why there should be a problem with images of fat people, or thin people, or black or tan or white or purple people. The fuss makes no sense to me.

What I do know is that the human subject being photographed isn't like landscapes or objects. They have the right to refuse to have their photograph taken and/or published, particularly if they are recognizable in the resulting image.

Model Release Forms are the legal means of securing permission. A simple written note or verbal assent may suffice, but the form protects the photographer. I've linked to some forms just in case anyone is interested...

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

Unknown said...

Lira,

Thanks for a sane response. I can always count on you rto be light instead of just heat.

Breigh,

Anyone can do anything they want with any picture of me. I don't care. You obviously do. Seriously, get some help. You have a serious anger management problem and there is so much more to life than projecting your issues onto others.