Thursday, February 02, 2006

Living the Low Carb Life, Chapter 2

To Chapter 1 review.

Why Low-Carb Diets Work

Jonny Bowden gets somewhat technical in this chapter, and I admit parts were over my head. It talks about how our bodily system work, with a focus on insulin since it is a key reason low fat/high carb diets don't work. It talks about blood sugar, cholesterol (both HDL and LDL), and triglycerides. It explains why a diet high in carbohydrates has an adverse impact on all of these.

He spends extra time on insulin, insulin resistance, and diabetes. He talks about insulin as the "fat-storage hormone" and most importantly, what goes on in the body to cause this. The chapter can be summed up best in one sentence: "Controlling insulin is the number one priority of all low-carb diets" (page 64).

As I said, parts are quite technical, but most of the chapter was understandable. It left me thinking, "Why would I ever want to put so many carbs in my body when they do such horrible things?

This is the chapter to read if you want to know the scientific reasons a low carb diet works and what goes on in your body when you are on a traditional low fat diet.

No comments: